We have already seen 10 different ways to shut down or restart Windows 8. One of them is by pressing the Alt+F4 combination to bring up the Windows Shut down Dialog box. However this is not as convenient as it looks, as if you have lots of programs open on your computer, it takes time. In such cases, Alt+F4 first closes each programs separately and we get the following prompt after ensuring every program is closed.
Create a shortcut to open Windows Shut down Dialog Box
In this article, I’ll you the simple way to bring the shut down prompt instantaneously, by creating a shortcut to open Windows Shut down Dialog Box – and optionally ‘pinning‘ it to the system tray.
1. Open Notepad and type following string:
2. Save this file with any name you like but provide it the .js format as mandatory for example Shutdown.js and pick All files as save as type. Save it to any location but create its shortcut to Desktop.
3. Right click on task bar and move to Toolbars -> New toolbar.
4. In the New Toolbar – Choose a folder window, input following location for Folder:
%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Then click on Select Folder and Quick Launch will be added to Windows 8 task bar.
5. Now go to Desktop and drag the shortcut created in step 1 in Quick Launch bar, until Link appears in pop-up, and then drop it. It will create a shortcut inside the Quick Launch menu.
6. That’s it. Now the shutdown shortcut is added as shortcut itself in the Quick Launch menu. At this stage you can delete the Desktop shortcut used in previous step. You can rename it simply Shutdown or whatever you like by right-click -> Rename.
So in case you have to bring power options, just click in Quick Launch bar and pick Shutdown and you’ll got the Alt+F4 menu directly. If you click anywhere on-screen besides this shut down prompt, it just disappears.
While it will work in Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and earlier too, Windows 8 users may find it more useful to use it as they will now have another way to shut down their computer from the notification area, apart from using HotShut.