A printer that is available on a network can be installed on any computer on the same network. This arrangement makes it possible for everyone to use the printer from anywhere. However, when installing a network printer, if you receive an error message— Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error 0x0000052e —then it’s because of credential issues. This post will help you resolve the problem.
Windows cannot connect to the printer; Operation failed, Error 0x0000052e
According to Microsoft, the problem occurs when credentials on Windows client do not match the credentials stored on the print server. Error message “0x0000052e” indicates the following error—
Logon failure: Unknown user name or bad password.
1] Re-enter Appropriate Credentials
On Windows PC, open command prompt with elevated privileges. Then, type the following, and press the Enter key:
Replace <servername> with the Pinter Server and <printername> with printer name. This will bring up the authentication window. Enter the correct one, and you should be able to add the printer.
At many workplaces, printers are locked with a username and password. Unless you have it, there is no way to install those printers.
2] Use Credential Manager
Windows 11/10 has a built-in credential manager that stores all passwords, i.e., signing in to websites, connected applications, and networks. You can store the password into it, and it will automatically use it when trying to install the printer.
- Press the Start button, and type Credential Manager
- Once it appears in the list, click to open it.
- Select Windows Credentials, and then click on Add a Windows credential link.
- In the credential window, enter an appropriate print server name, username, and password trusted on the print server.
- Click ok, and try to install the printer. It should work this time.
I hope the post was easy to follow, and you were able to install the printer and get rid of the error message which said—Windows cannot connect to the printer; Operation failed, Error 0x0000052e.
- Windows couldn’t connect to the Printer
- Error 0x00000520, Windows cannot connect to the Printer
- Network Printer errors 0x00000002, 0x0000007a, 0x00004005, 0x00000057, 0x00000006.