The Intel NUC Pro Software Suite is a one-stop shop that can cater to the needs of your tiny computer. It keeps a tab on unmonitored applications and offers backup screen services for digital signage applications to ensure uninterrupted display. In this post, we will discuss what the Intel NUC Pro Software Suite is and how you can download and use it.
What is Intel NUC?
NUC, or Next Unit of Computing is a pint-sized computer technology introduced by Intel. It is nothing but a computer in a smaller form factor. Even though it can not exactly fit into your pocket, if you are someone like me, it is still portable. This technology didn’t just ignite enthusiasts of tech fanatics but is also extremely useful for most business and home users.
What is Intel NUC software?
The Intel NUC Software is a utility package that enables you to monitor your system’s performance and prevents software redundancy and slowdowns. The software package is available for both Intel and Windows NUC devices.
Intel NUC Pro Software Suite for PC
NUC Pro Software Suite allows you to monitor your system’s performance and ensure that it doesn’t slow down because of any internal software redundancy. The following are the reasons why one should go for the Intel NUC Pro Software Suite.
- Monitors unattended apps: One of the reasons why we suggest one go for NPSS is that it monitors applications that run without your consent or knowledge. They are usually the main culprits behind annoying issues such as the system slowing down or freezing abruptly. One can not allow this to happen under any circumstances, especially if your NUC is doing some important task and can not afford a reboot.
- Multiple Screen Services: NPSS Provides you with redundant screen service so that, you can display one in every instance of the time. If you are using your tiny computer to display an ad, you can not afford to let it slide, and the screen turns off even for a second; that’s when NPSS comes into action.
- Log creation: Since we are talking about an electronic device, one can not foresee the possibility of an app crashing abruptly. To troubleshoot this issue, we need to access the log. Intel NUC Pro Software Suite works in the background and writes logs. So that if something goes south, you can check the logs to figure out what the issue is and take appropriate measures based on that.
Long story short, NPSS is like a guardian angel that monitors apps, prevents crashes, and logs behavior.
Download and install Intel NUC Pro Software Suite
To install Intel NUC Software Suite, one needs to make sure that they have one of the following operating systems.
- Windows 10 Pro 21H2
- Windows 10 IOT Enterprise LTSC 2021
- Windows 11 Pro 21H2
- Windows 11 Pro 22H2 on Intel Generation 12 NUCs (Intel® NUC 12 Pro Mini PC, and Intel® NUC 12 Compute Element).
- Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS – Kernel versions 5.4, 5.11, and 5.13
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS – Kernel versions 5.15.25, 5.15.28, and 5.15.30
Let us proceed with the installation steps if you have one of the mentioned operating systems. Before that, go to intel.com, we need to download the utility from here.
Install Intel NPSS for Windows device
- Download IntelNpss ZIP for Windows devices from the aforementioned website.
- Once the ZIP file is downloaded, extract it and go to the extracted folder.
- Double-click on the IntelNpssApplicationInstaller.exe file to launch it.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to install the utility.
Install Intel NPSS for Linux device
Before installing the software suite on a Linux device, you need to do the following prerequisites, that is, installing QT libraries and dependencies.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade sudo apt install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0 sudo apt install dkms sudo apt install build-essential
Now, download the TAR package from their official website mentioned earlier. After downloading the package, let us proceed with the driver and application installation.
- Open the Terminal on the target machine.
- If the driver is already installed on your computer, execute the following command to uninstall it, if it’s not installed skip this step.
sudo dpkg -r intel-nucprosoftwaresuite-driver
- To install apt drivers, run the following command. Make sure to replace the version name with the one that you want to install.
dpkg -i intel-nucprosoftwaresuite-driver_2.0.9-2_all.deb
- Then install the Intel® NUC Pro Software Suite application using the following command.
sudo dpkg -i intel-nucprosoftwaresuite_2.0.9-2_amd64.deb
- This will install the utility on your Unix computer.
What is the difference between CPU and NUC?
NUC devices are not based on traditional ATX-based builds which is the architecture on which the CPU is built. These processors are hard-soldered to the mainboard and cannot be installed, uninstalled, or swapped out by the end user.
Also Read: What is System on a Chip (SoC) with examples.