Windows Hello is an excellent feature. It lets Windows users use fingerprint, facial recognition, and other biometric details to login into Windows devices. Still, users can experience issues at times. For example, one common error that users encounter while using Windows Hello is ‘We couldn’t find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face’.
We couldn’t find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face
There can be many reasons for the feature failing to work. You can try the methods listed below to fix the problem and get the Windows Hello Face working again.
- Installing the Windows Hello Biometric files
- Resetting Windows Hello Biometric Database
- Install Windows Hello Face Optional Feature
Let’s cover the above methods in a bit of detail. Before you begin, please create a system restore point first.
1] Installing the Windows Biometric Files
Open File Explorer and navigate to the following address – C:\Windows\System32\WinBioPlugIns\FaceDriver.
Here, you should find two files namely-
Right-click them and select the ‘Install’ option.
Later, restart our PC, and the Windows Hello Face feature should be working again.
2] Reset the Windows Hello Biometric Database
Please be aware, this method will reset Windows Hello for every user registered on the PC. If you’re OK with it, go ahead.
- Press Windows key + R, to open the Run dialog box.
- Type services.msc and click on OK.
- Look for Windows Biometric Service, double click on it, and click on Stop.
- Now, navigate to the following address – C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase.
- Create a backup of all the files inside the WinBioDatabase folder.
- Once done, delete all the files and restart the Windows Biometric Service.
- Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and register the Face data again.
3] Install Windows Hello Face Optional Feature
- Launch Windows 10 Settings and go to Apps > Apps & features.
- Here, click Optional features.
- Then, under the list of Optional features, already installed, look for Windows Hello Face entry.
- If it is there, there is nothing you need to do.
- If you cannot spot it, chances are its disappearance might be causing the issue. Click on Add a feature, search for it, and install it.
When done, restart your PC to allow the changes to take effect.