Since Windows 8.1 is available on Windows Store, most of you using Windows 8 may have upgraded your system. If you have gone in for a clean install, you may find that you normally do not face any issues. This is the case with upgrades too – but there are times when after an upgrade, certain issues can crop up. If after upgrading your Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, if you find one or more User Accounts missing, then this post will be able to help you fix the issue.
User Accounts missing
In the course of the issue, we found that the user account which we were missing had its entry under the hood of Users directory. We also could not rename the entry because rename option is greyed out for it. Also when we tried to create a new user account with the same name, obviously Windows didn’t allowed us to do so.
Then how do we solve this issue? Well, in this article we tell you the way to fix this. After doing a bit of research, we found that the User we were missing was still available inside Windows but it has lost group membership, i.e. there is no group to which this user belongs, that’s why it is not available to you. You can check this in the following way:
1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put sysdm.cpl in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the System Properties.
2. In the System Properties window, switch to Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.
3. Now you can see all the user accounts on your system. The Account Unknown here is the user account which doesn’t belongs to any group.
So if by any how we add that user to any group, we can recover it as our Local User account. Here are the steps you would need to follow in order to bring the missing user account in a group:
1. Open administrative Command Prompt.
2. Paste following command and press Enter:
net localgroup “Administrators” [Computer Name]\[Missing User] /add
In the above command, you have to substitute [Computer Name] with your computer name and [Missing User] with the Local Account user name which you lost after upgrade. After a reboot, you can use the Recover user account option which was missing after upgrade.
Hope this helps!