Windows has a built-in feature to pin your favorite apps to the Taskbar and the Start menu for quick access. Like Windows apps, you can pin websites to the taskbar on your Windows 11/ 10 PC. The Microsoft Edge browser offers a Taskbar Pinning Wizard, which allows you to easily pin multiple websites on the Windows Taskbar. It offers personalized website suggestions based on your browsing activity and lets you pin important websites for one-click access.
Apart from the Wizard, Edge comes with an interesting feature that lets you pin websites as Progressive Web Apps.
How to pin websites to Windows Taskbar using Microsoft Edge?
This article primarily focuses on:
- How to pin websites to Windows Taskbar using the Taskbar Pinning Wizard in Edge.
While also giving details on:
- How to pin individual websites to Windows Taskbar using Edge.
- How to pin websites as Progressive Web Apps.
Pin websites to the taskbar using Edge’s Taskbar Pinning Wizard
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Click on the menu icon (three dots located in the top-right corner of the browser window).
- Navigate to More tools.
- Click on Launch taskbar pinning wizard. Taskbar Pinning Wizard window will open.
- You will be asked to import data from Google Chrome. Importing data helps in getting personalized suggestions on the websites you would like to pin. In other words, it tells Edge which websites you spend most of your time on.
- Choose the ‘Import from Google Chrome’ option or ‘Continue without Importing’.
- Edge will show a list of suggestions based on your usage.
- Use your mouse cursor to select the websites you would like to pin.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Next, you will be shown a list of popular Microsoft web apps, such as YouTube, Rediff, Microsoft Live, etc.
- Select websites that you would like to pin and click on the Continue button.
- Next, you will be asked to choose Edge as your default browser or keep using your existing browser settings. Select an option and click on the Continue button.
- Finish the setup by clicking on the Finish button.
Upon closing the wizard, you will see all your pinned websites in the taskbar area. To unpin these websites, simply right-click on the website icon and choose the Unpin from taskbar option.
Also Read: How to create a keyboard shortcut to open a website.
Pin individual websites to the taskbar from Edge
- Open the website you would like to pin in a new tab in the Edge browser.
- Click on the menu icon.
- Go to More tools.
- Click on the ‘Pin to taskbar’ option.
You can unpin a website by right-clicking on its icon in the taskbar and choosing the Unpin from taskbar option.
Pin websites as Progressive Web Apps
Progressive Web Apps, also known as PWAs, are websites that act like installed, native applications. They support periodic updates, push notifications, and can work in offline mode. To add a website as a progressive web app:
- Open the website in Microsoft Edge.
- Click on the menu icon.
- Go to Apps > Manage apps.
- Select ‘Install this site as an app’.
- You will be prompted to choose an app name. Enter a name and click on the Install button.
- A notification will confirm that the website has been installed as a PWA and is available for quick access in the taskbar. You can also choose to create a desktop shortcut to open the website on your Windows 11/ 10 PC. Click on the Allow button to finish the setup.
To uninstall these apps, go to Edge menu > Apps > Manage apps. Then click on the three-dots icon next to the app name and select Uninstall.
Note: The Edge browser comes pre-installed in all the latest Windows editions, including Windows 11 Home and Windows 11 Pro. If you face issues while working with Edge on your Windows 11/ 10 PC, try resetting, repairing, or reinstalling your Edge browser.
How do I Pin a website to my taskbar in Windows 11?
Microsoft Edge offers a Taskbar Pinning Wizard to pin websites to the taskbar in Windows 11/ 10 for easy one-click access. Using this Wizard you can pin multiple websites to the taskbar in one go. The Wizard offers to pin your frequently used websites and some popular Microsoft websites. These websites open in the Edge browser when you launch them from the taskbar.
How do I Pin tabs in Microsoft Edge?
To pin a tab in Microsoft Edge, go to the tab you would like to pin in the Microsoft Edge browser. Then right-click on the tab. You will see a menu. Click on the Pin tab option. The tab will be pinned to the Edge browser. When you exit and relaunch Microsoft Edge, your tabbed webpage will open by default in your browser window.
Read Next: Cannot Pin Apps or Programs to Taskbar in Windows.