While trying to install a game on your Windows PC via the Xbox app, you may face the error message “This location isn’t set up for installing games“. The Xbox app is the gateway for people to play console games on their computers and is used exceedingly by users. Although there are no concrete reasons for this error, it is generally faced when a user downloads several games in a row. Other times, people have reported this error caused by Gaming Services. If you are also facing this issue with your Xbox app, here are the solutions you can implement to fix it.
Fix This location isn’t set up for installing games error in Xbox App
Gaming Services are related to the Game Core updates and facilitate the Windows Store in healthily installing larger game files via the Microsoft Store. A plausible reason behind experiencing this error is that you have not set up a default storage location for their game files to be downloaded. An elementary check all users should run before implementing any of the forthcoming solutions is running the game as administrator. Provided that does not fix the error, you should check out the fixes mentioned below:
- Ensure that the Game Dependencies are downloaded
- Select a storage drive for downloaded apps
- Run the game in compatibility mode
- Update Gaming Services
- Download the game from Microsoft Store
1] Ensure that the Game Dependencies are downloaded
Game Dependencies are the necessary apps that you need to have installed on your computer for any games to work. Thus, you should check if the download of any dependencies is left pending and install if so is the case:
- Open the Xbox app and visit the Settings
- Click on the General and right at the top of this window will be a notification asking you to download the Gaming Dependencies required for the installed games to work
Here, click on the install button, wait till the process is complete and when it is done, check if the issue has been fixed or not.
2] Select a storage drive for downloaded apps
If you are facing the, it may be because you have not set up a storage drive for the new apps you download.
- Open Windows Settings with the “Win+I” key combination
- Click on the System tab and further select Storage
- Under Storage Management, click on the Advanced storage settings drop-down
- Select the “Where new content is saved” option
Here, you will find an option to select the drive where the new apps are saved. Choose the drive of your liking and check if you continue to face this issue.
3] Run the game in compatibility mode
Running the game’s app in compatibility mode has also proven to be of help in the issue under discussion here. Here is how you can do that:
- Right-click on the game’s setup file and click on Properties
- Select the Compatibility tab
- Now, click on “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select Operating System from the drop-down
After this, wait for the game file to install and see if the error persists.
4] Update Gaming Services
Your Gaming Services can also be at fault for this Xbox game installation error. You should check if there’s a new version pending for update for Gaming Services, and install that update.
- Search for the Microsoft Store from the Search Pane and open it
- Click on the Library option at the bottom-left and under Updates & Downloads, check if there are any pending updates for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app
If an update is available, install it and check if the error continues to exist post-installation.
5] Download the game from Microsoft Store
Lastly, if none of the aforementioned solutions are of any help, you should try downloading and installing the game file through the Microsoft Store instead of the official website or any other third-party source.
- Open Microsoft Store
- Search the game you want to download in the search bar
- Click on Get and wait till the app is downloaded
We hope that you find this helpful.
How do I change the install location on the Xbox store?
If you aren’t happy with the installation location of your Xbox games and want to change, you can do so easily. Open the Xbox app and click on your profile icon. Select Settings > General. Here, under the “Game Install” options, you’ll find a setting to change the default installation folder.
Read: Xbox Cant install purchased Games
How do I fix the Xbox app installation error?
If you are having issues installing games from the Xbox app, there are several recommended troubleshooting measures that you can give a shot. Some primary solutions to installation errors on Xbox are restarting the device, updating the Windows PC, ensuring that the Xbox app and store are signed in with the same account, and reinstalling the problematic game.