HP printers are known for their quality. It is rare for these printers to show problems. However, users sometimes report an issue where all the lights on the printer start blinking or flashing. If you encounter the same problem with your HP printer, then please read this article for the resolution. We have discussed various cases with different types of HP printers.
Why does my HP Printer flash all lights at once?
Since HP printers come in various models, the case of “all lights flashing” will have different meanings. In the case of All-in-one printers, it means the printer is exhibiting a Fatal State Error. If the error occurs with a standalone printer, then it means that the printer needs to be restarted.
Fix HP Printer All lights flashing or blinking
If all lights are flashing or blinking on the HP Printer when connected to your Windows computer, then you may try the following solutions to fix the issue:
- Restart the printer (For standalone printers)
- Check if the cartridge is stuck (For All-in-one printers)
- Reset the HP printer (For All-in-one printers)
- Connect the All-in-one printer to a direct power socket
- Run Printer Troubleshooter.
1] Restart the printer (For standalone printers)
Standalone HP printers have 3 lights – Cartridge light, Resume light, and Power light. Their blinking combination can indicate different errors. However, if all the lights blink at the same time, it means the printer has to be restarted. Since the printer has no restart button, the procedure would be as follows.
- Press the Power button to switch OFF the printer. Wait will all lights be OFF.
- Press the Power button to switch ON the printer. Wait will all three lights be ON and stable.
2] Check if the cartridge is stuck (For All-in-one printers)
If the cartridge is stuck on your HP printer, you won’t be able to reset it. Thus, before proceeding with further solutions, you are advised to fix the cartridge.
- Open the cover of your HP All-in-one printer.
- Check if any paper is stuck in the cartridge and remove the same if needed.
- Push the cartridge to the absolute right.
- Close the cover of the HP All-in-one printer.
3] Reset the HP printer (For All-in-one printers)
HP All-in-one printers don’t have a reset button. Thus, you can try the following procedure to reset the HP All-in-one printer.
- Switch OFF the HP printer and turn off the main power supply.
- Remove the power cord from both the main power supply and the rear of the HP printer.
- Wait for 15-20 seconds at least.
- Now reconnect the power cord and the power supply.
- Switch ON the printer and check if it helps.
4] Connect the All-in-one printer to a direct power socket
The error indicated by the blinking lights is the fatal state error. This means that the problem is with the power supply. If resetting the printer did not work, then you can consider the following solution.
- Switch OFF your HP All-in-one printer.
- Remove the power supply and disconnect the power cord.
- Remove any power extension, surge suppressor, etc from the circuit and connect the power cord directly to the electricity outlet.
- Now, wait for 15-20 seconds and switch ON your printer.
5] Run Printer Troubleshooter
Run the Printer Troubleshooter and see if it helps.
How long do HP All-in-one printers last?
Ideally, an HP All-in-one printer is meant to last for 3-4 years. However, you can make it last longer by using it efficiently. It should be noted that with heavy use (printer more pages per day than its intended capacity), printers tend to wear and tear earlier.