The new Microsoft Edge browser is built on the Chromium engine. The same engine used the over popular browser from Google — Chrome. While Edge Chromium is still unavailable as the default browser, you can always use it on your computer. The process is simple; all you need to do is join the Microsoft Edge Insider Program. In this guide, I will share how you can do it.
How to join Microsoft Edge Insider Program
- Open Microsoft Edge Insider page
- Choose the channel
- Download, install, and setup.
1] Visit the Microsoft Edge Insider page
The Edge browser is available to download here. This page holds all the information about Microsoft Edge based on Chromium.
2] Choose the Channel
While there is a download link right up front, I suggest choosing the channel that fits best for you. Right under the download button, click the link that says more platforms and channels. Here you have three options:
- Beta Channel: It updates every six weeks and is the most stable version of the Microsoft Edge preview experience
- Dev Channel: It gets an update every week. While it keeps improving but carries bugs all along.
- Canary Channel: Using this is like living on the bleeding edge. It gets updated daily and’s full of bugs, but it also gives you the latest features to make to the final version.
If you are unsure, we suggest the Beta or Dev Channel.
While Beta is still unavailable, you can download the Dev Channel immediately. When you click the download button, you must accept the terms and conditions. It will start downloading the browser.
Once complete, run the installer, and it will download it.
Post installation, it will use the Microsoft account to sign you up with the program. That said, there is no way to switch between the development channel. The only way is to download and install it again.
The browser installs parallel to the old Edge, and you must launch the new version from the Start menu.
- How to join or leave Windows Insider Program
- How to enroll for Office Insider Fast Level Program
- How to join Microsoft’s Early App Preview Program
- How to join Xbox Insider Program
- How to join Skype Insiders Program.
Which browser is best for CPU usage?
Microsoft Edge utilizes the minimum CPU resources compared to alternative web browsers. On the other hand, Chrome uses the most CPU resources, especially with many open tabs.
What is the difference between Edge and beta?
Theoretically, the contrast between beta and edge risks is that Edge could be considered more risky and less reliable. As an illustration, the edge channel typically embodies the main development pathway.