In this tutorial, we will explain how to make a Step Chart in Microsoft Excel. Charts are known to many as a graphical representation of data that people can use to explain a point to their audiences. Charts are used in schools, businesses, and society overall. In Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint or Word, there are a variety of charts that an individual can use to display their data, such as Bar charts, Pie charts, Line charts, Area charts, Box and Whiskers, histograms, etc. People can also create custom charts that are entirely different than the usual charts that are used by individuals. Custom charts represent complex data and are often used in Marketing, such as the Step Chart.
How to create a Step Chart in Excel
Follow the methods below to make a Step Chart in Microsoft Excel:
- Launch Excel.
- Input data into the spreadsheet.
- Copy the range of data, then paste it.
- Delete the first date cell and the last sales cell from the copied table.
- Delete the empty cell by right-clicking the cell and clicking Delete.
- Click Shift cells up, then click OK
- Copy the first table range and paste it below the copied table.
- Select the entire data in the copied table.
- Click Insert and click the Insert Line or Area Chart button and choose the Line option in the 2-D section.
Launch Microsoft Excel.
Enter your data into your spreadsheet or use existing data.
Copy the range of cells containing your data and then paste it as a new range.
Then delete the first date cell and the last sales cell from the copied table.
Then delete the empty cell by right-clicking the cell and clicking Delete.
A Delete dialog box will open.
Choose the Shift cells up, then click OK.
The empty cells will be deleted, and the cells below will shift up.
Copy the original table range and paste it below the copied table.
Select the entire data in the copied table.
Click the Insert tab, and in the Charts group, click the Insert Line or Area Chart button.
In the 2-D section, choose Line.
Now the Step chart is created.
What is a Step Chart?
A Step Chart is a chart similar to a line graph, but the line is forming a series of steps between data points. The Step Chart is useful when individuals want to show data that changes at irregular intervals.
Where is Chart Tools Excel?
Follow the steps below to find the Chart Tools in Excel
- Click the Insert tab.
- You can select any of the charts buttons in the charts group, or you can select the Recommended Chart button.
- Depending on the chart you have selected, it will appear in the spreadsheet.
How many chart types are available in Excel?
In Microsoft Excel, there are seventeen charts, namely: Column, Line, Pie, Bar, Area, XY (Scatter), Map, Stock, Surface, Radar, Treemap, Sunburst, Histogram, Box and Whisker, Waterfall, funnel, and Combo.
What is a quick way to add chart elements?
Follow the steps below to add chart elements to your chart:
- Click the Chart and select the Chart Element button on the right side of the chart.
- You can select or deselect any of the elements on the chart.
Why is a graph better than a table?
The reason why a graph is better than a table is that the table shows data in a list and might be hard to understand for some audiences. In contrast, the graph shows a graphical representation of the data that is easier to understand for many people.
We hope this tutorial helps you understand how to create a Step Chart in Microsoft Excel; if you have questions about the tutorial, let us know in the comments.