Have you ever felt the need to publish your Google Docs document on a blog or website? If you’re using WordPress, there are several plugins to make this task a seamless experience. But plugins are known to fail, therefore, it is best to learn how to get do it manually by converting the Google Docs document to HTML (HyperText Markup Language).
Now, one of the reasons it makes sense to convert your Google Docs document to HTML is to preserve the layout and the formatting. Not only that, but it would also be much easier to edit the document using HTML at a later date if you feel the need to add some customizations.
How to convert Google Docs document to HTML
Converting these documents to HTML is easy. You can export documents as HTML, or use the Docs to Markdown add-on from the store to get the job done.
Export the document as HTML
The easiest way to convert a Google Docs file to HTML is to export it as such. This is a built-in feature, so no need to exit the platform.
- Open the relevant Google Docs document via your favorite web browser.
- From there, navigate to File, then select Download.
- Go to Web Page (.html zipped) and select it.
- When asked, please save the document as a zip file.
- Extract the recently saved zip file.
- Finally, you must open the HTML file using Notepad or any other text editor.
- Copy the HTML code and insert it into the editing area of your website.
Convert document using the Docs to Markdown add-on
Google Docs is home to many free add-ons, and one of them is called Docs to Markdown. Once installed, folks can use it to convert documents to HTML with just a few clicks of the mouse.
- To begin, you must first install the Docs to Markdown add-on.
- Open the appropriate document in Google Docs.
- Next, click on the Extensions tab.
- A drop-down menu will appear.
- From that dropdown menu, please select Add-ons, then Get add-ons.
- When the add-on page is up and running, please search for Docs to Markdown.
- Install to your Google Docs.
- In order to make the conversion, you must return to Extensions.
- Go directly to Add-ons > Docs To Markdown.
- Click on the Convert button.
- Choose the HTML option, and that’s it, your Google Docs document is now in HTML form.
How do you convert a Google Doc to a website?
To do this, you must click on the File tab, then hover the mouse over Share. From there, you will see Publish to the Web, so please click on that. Next, select either Link or Embed, then hit the Publish button. Finally, copy the link or the embedded code and post it to your website.
Can you save Google Docs as HTML?
Yes, you can. All you have to do is open the document in Google Docs, then click on File. After that, please go ahead and hover the mouse cursor over Downloads. Finally, go ahead and select Web Page (.html zipped).