When you back up your files by using Windows Backup in Windows 7, the backup fails and you receive the following error message: 0x81000038, then you may want to try this solution.
Error Message 0x81000038
This problem usually occurs because the computer has a missing AppData path and hence the following registry key value is missing:
HKEY_USER\<User ID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData
To resolve this problem, do not include the AppData folder in the backup by using the Additional Location node. Instead, include the actual path of the AppData folder.
To do this, follow these steps:
- In Backup and Restore, click Change settings, select a backup destination, and then click Next.
- Select Let me choose, and then click Next.
- Expand Data Files, and then clear AppData folder under Additional Locations for each user account.
- Expand Computer, expand the system disk, expand Users, and then expand each users account to reselect AppData.
- Follow the instructions.
Hope that helps! Sourced from: KB981907.
Fixes & KB Articles for related Backup Errors:
- 0x80070057 error message when you back up files in Windows 7
- Error code 0x80070002 when you back up files in Windows 7.