Windows has given different options to sign up to your computer such as password, PIN, etc. The PIN is a much quicker option to sign into your device than a password that’s why a lot of users prefer this option. Some Windows users, when trying to set up a PIN or changing it, receive the 0x801c044f error. In this post, we are going to talk about this and see how you can resolve PIN error 0x801c044f.
Something went wrong
We weren’t able to set up your PIN. Sometimes, it helps to try again or you can skip for now or do it later.
Error Code: 0x801c044f
Fix Windows Hello Error 0x801c044f when creating PIN
This error 0x801c044f mostly occurs when there is a problem in security settings. This issue can also be caused because of glitches. You can also encounter the said error due to corruption in the NGC folder. Whatever the case is, if you encounter error 0x801c044f when creating a PIN, follow the prescribed solutions to resolve the issue.
- Switch User Accounts
- Remove Work/School and then set a PIN
- Delete the NGC Folder
- Use the I Forgot My PIN Option
- Modify Group Policy
- Use the System Restore Utility
Let us talk about them in detail.
1] Switch User Accounts
In order to overcome the problem you need to sign in to a Local User Account and then switch to a Microsoft account. When you implement this method, it will ask you to set up the PIN.
Let’s use this idea to resolve your issue.
- Press the Windows button and then click on the setting button
- There is an account option in the left panel, click on it.
- Click on Your Info option
- Click on Sign in with a local account instead
- Click on next and enter a PIN
- Restart and sign in to the system with a local account
- When you have logged into the local account
- Again go to the Accounts click on Your Info, and select Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
- Now, the system will ask you to enter the credentials, once verified, you need to set up a PIN and follow the on-screen instruction to complete this process.
Hopefully, after using this solution said the error will be resolved.
2] Remove Work/School account and then set a PIN
Sometimes, due to some policies configured by the Work or School account, Windows refuses to set a PIN. In that case, you need to remove that account, set a PIN, and then add the account back. To remove your Work or School account, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Accounts > Access work or school.
- Click on your school account and then click on Disconnect.
Once you have signed out of your Work or School account, reboot the system and then add a PIN. Once you have successfully added the PIN, add the account we removed earlier. Hopefully, this will do the trick for you.
3] Delete the NGC Folder
It has been seen that this problem may occur due to corruption in the NGC folder on your computer. In this situation, to solve this issue, delete the NGC folder. After deleting the NGC folder, the previous information related to users like fingerprint and PIN will be deleted. Now, you can configure the fresh PIN. To delete the NGC folder, first, you need to give adequate permission to the user, follow the prescribed steps to do the same.
- Go to the following address in File Explorer.
- After entering the Microsoft folder, right-click on the NGC folder and select Properties
- Click on the Security tab and then click on the Advance tab
- In Advanced Security Setting for NGC windows, click on the change option next to Owner
- Type Everyone and then click on Check Names.
- Click Apply > Ok.
After you got permission to delete the NGC folder, go to the following address in File Explorer, and delete all the content inside the NGC folder.
You can now add the new PIN. After configuring a new PIN, reboot and try logging into the Windows system using your PIN. Hopefully, this trick will work for you.
4] Use the I Forgot My PIN Option
The situation can also come when you want to change the current PIN and you are not able to do that. Suppose you click on the ‘Change PIN’ option to change the PIN but you are not able to proceed beyond that option then you can resolve your issue by using the ‘Forgot my PIN’ option and this can be a good idea to solve this issue
Let’s use this prescribed solution to resolve the said error.
- Press the Windows key and click on the setting option
- On the left side of the screen, click on the Accounts option.
- Select Sign-in options and expand the PIN section.
- Hit on I forgot my PIN and click on Continue.
- Enter your Microsoft account information and follow the on-screen instructions.
Hopefully, your problem will be resolved after using this method.
Also Read: Fix PIN Error 0x80280013 on Windows
5] Modify Group Policy
The Group Policy Editor is a Windows tool that allows you to configure settings and store information about the Windows program and processes in the form of group policies. you can modify these policies according to your requirement. It is possible that you are restricted from setting. If you have administrative rights then you can modify these settings to resolve your issue.
Let’s edit Group Policy to resolve this Windows PIN error.
- Press Windows + R key to open the Run dialog box
- Write gpedit.msc and press enter button
- In this window, go to the following location
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon
- Hit on Turn on convenience PIN sign-in and select Enable.
- Click on Apply and press OK to save the changes.
After completing these processes, try to set up a PIN again and check your issue will be solved.
6] Use system restore point
In order to resolve this issue you need to use a restore point (if you have created one) because it can bring your system to the same condition as it was before. However, this will also remove any modification you have made to your system lately, that is why, if the above solutions are not working for you then use the prescribed solution, and restore your system.
- Press Windows + R to open the run dialog box
- Write rstrui and press enter to open System Restore.
- Select Choose a different restore point and click on Next.
- Select Show more restore points.
- Select a restore point created on an earlier date and click on the Next button.
- Click on the Finish button and Windows will automatically restart the older state will be restored at the next startup
Hopefully, the said error will be resolved after using this method.
Read: Error 0xd000a002, We weren’t able to set your PIN.
How do you bypass Create PIN?
If you don’t want to set a PIN or are unable to set it, you can skip the option and use a password instead. You can even disable the Windows Hello prompt using Registry Editor or Group Policy Editor.
Read: PIN vs Password in Windows – Which offers better security?