The Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, N/KN editions do not include Windows Media Player and other Windows Media-related technologies, such as Windows Media Center, Windows DVD Maker, etc. You have to download and install it separately. This Media Feature Pack will install Windows Media Player and various other Media-related software and applications on your Windows systems. The Windows N and KN editions do not include Windows Media Player and other Windows Media-related technologies, such as Windows Media Center, Windows DVD Maker, etc.
Both N & KN versions possess similar functionalities as the usual Windows, except that all media-related software like the Windows Media Player and certain applications like Music, Sound Recorder, Video, Skype, etc. come pre-installed with Windows. But there is no need to worry because the users of N & KN versions can download the Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 8.1, which will enable all the technologies which are originally excluded. Following are some of the apps/technologies/features which have been left out:
- All Windows Media Player features like playing media files, audio CDs, creating a playlist album art, creating an audio CD, etc. It also excludes Windows Media Player Active X control
- The Windows Media Format which supports the Windows Media video and audio codecs, the ability to manage Windows Media digital rights, which ensure the safe transfer of protected content for playback.
- Any kind of Media sharing through a Computer Network, including Music, pictures, and video sharing.
- Media Foundation, which is responsible for content protection, video, and audio quality and managing digital rights (DRM).
- The Infrastructure for Windows Portable Devices, through which media and storage devices communicate with each other, inclusive of those which support the Media Transfer Protocol.
- Audio codecs which enable playing audio formats like WMA, MP3, AAC Audio, MPEG-2, and AC-3 audio.
- The standards-based codecs such as MPEG-4, VC-1 and H. 264 codecs which support in playback and creation of multimedia files
- The Music and Video app which enables playback of digital music and video.
- An app to record sounds called the Sound Recorder
- An app to message and communicate online called Skype.
Media Feature Pack for Windows N version
Therefore to carry out any of the functions like playing or creating audio CDs, media files, and video DVDs, organizing content in a media library, creating playlists, converting audio CDs to media files, viewing artist and title information about media files, viewing album art about music files, transferring music to personal music players, recording and playback of TV broadcasts, etc, you will need to install separate media player.
Additionally, to enable many Web sites and software programs to work correctly, you can install the Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows N and for Windows KN.
The Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows will install Media Player and related technologies on a computer running Windows N or Windows KN editions.
- Download Media Feature Pack for N versions of Windows 10 here.
- Download the Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 8.1 here.
- Download the Media Feature Pack for Windows 8 N and KN here.
- Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and KN from Microsoft.
This post will help you you you can’t install Windows Media Feature Pack.