The interference of digital devices in our lives is that it is almost impossible to live without checking your Smartphone or Tablet now and then. Digital devices have become an inseparable part of our daily routine to the extent that they are taking away our time, focus, sleep, work productivity, life balance, and, most importantly, personal time. Although most of us are aware of this, however, the consequences are realized only when we suffer a personal loss, experience stress, or face unwanted situations. Social Media addiction is rising, and so is the overuse of computers and smartphones. It is known to hamper one’s social interactions and work efficiency. Digital Detox is when a person must take off from his computer or smartphone and be disconnected from the Internet to return to his normal state.
You need a Digital Detox if:
- You find it difficult to sleep
- You pretend to be busy working but are actually on the web doing something else.
- Your work efficiency is suffering
- You constantly check the notifications
- Being disconnected from the Internet sends you into a momentary panic.
Do you think there is a way to come out of this?
The answer is it’s tough because the unending exposure to newer devices, newer technologies in our lives, and the dependency surrounding them has made it increasingly difficult for us to “switch off” these digital interactions.
However, owing to growing cases of mental breakdowns and stress-related diseases, the need for Digital Detox or a period when a person refrains from using electronic devices or the Internet is necessary.
There are numerous benefits of Digital Detox. Below are a few of them.
Benefits of Digital Detox
- It is much easier to relax or concentrate without a buzzing smartphone or tablet in your hand or pocket.
- By practicing digital detox, you can have some space to be creative or think deeply about solutions to your problems, or even make new friends and socialize with people.
- You would have more time to practice your hobby – reading, dancing, singing, walking and playing sports.
- Very important – You would have more time to have a peaceful sleep.
- With Digital Detox, you can pass on a message to your office that you are not always available and distinguish between work and your personal life.
- Digital Detox also increases your work speed, as you can concentrate much better. It, in turn, makes you more productive.
- More importantly, with Digital Detox, you would be able to move towards a more balanced life.
Digital Detox adopting challenges
Despite knowing the benefits of digital detox, it isn’t easy to get started and stick to it. It calls for a complete self-discipline routine!
Here are a few steps to guide you to start with Digital Detox and, most importantly, adhere to it!
- Make a list of all the electronic gadgets you will be switching off. Don’t get demotivated, as you can also make a list of activities that interest you and those which you loved doing before getting addicted to technology.
- Set the target that is achievable, like maybe a few hours of digital detox
- If you are planning digital detox daily, you may start with lunchtime, exercise, family time, or a strict time of an hour or two. Slowly, when it becomes a habit, it will be easier to turn it into a routine.
- If you are still finding it difficult, you can also try assigning your study room as a gadget room and all other rooms to be free of devices. Another tip could be checking emails every two hours and gradually increasing your limits.
- There are many people nowadays who are attempting digital detox. Find your buddy.
- Tell more people about it. It builds more positivity in you, and as more people start following you, you get motivated to follow it better.
- Most importantly, sleep properly and always try to keep your bedroom free of devices.
If you are frustrated with how you are occupied with digital devices and want to get out of them, then don’t plan too much. Just look for places you can go and the activities you can do, and then throw away all your digital devices in a corner and return to the way you used to be; Just be yourself!
Read next: 10 Signs that you are addicted to your phone.
Is digital detox effective?
Health and well-being, social relationships, self-control, and performance were all affected differently by digital detox interventions. Some studies have found that some interventions may improve well-being, but others have found that these interventions may have no effect or negative consequences.
Is digital detox hard?
It is hard to detox from the digital world because depriving the brain of these rewarding chemicals is difficult. Disrupting from digital is unlikely to be successful by relying solely on willpower.