Yesterday, we saw some online services which let you create fonts from your own handwriting. Today, I will tell you about two free tools that will let you create your own true type fonts for free, on your computer. One of the tool runs on Web Platform and the other or Windows Platform. Before starting, I would like to tell you to please install Cygwin to enjoy FontForge.
Create Fonts Free
1. FontForge: FontForge is a free and an open source software, outline font editor, with this tool you can create any type of font you want.
This is a powerful tool that can make your task easier. FontForge is licensed under terms of BSD license and is available for many operating systems and in many languages.
FontForge is based on Font Labs, so it provides all the features of Font Labs and some of its own uniquely developed features. To convert and transform fonts, FontForge uses scripting. You can use python scripting or its own scripting to create your font. FontForge supports many formats, so let’s see what they are:
- TrueType (TTF)
- TrueType Collection (TTC)
- OpenType (OTF)
- PostScript Type 1
- TeX Bitmap Fonts
- X11 OTB bitmap (only sfnt)
- Glyph Bitmap Distribution Format (BDF)
- FON (Windows)
- FNT (Windows)
- Web Open Font Format.
2. FontStruct: FontStruct is a free web-based font creation tool sponsored by Font Shop. FontStruct provides you a bricks look-alike interface, and you can fill each brick to create your own different letter, the brick- look alike interface is known as FontStruction. When you are done creating your own font, with FontStruct you can save it in High Quality TTF format and you can easily access the font after downloading it.
With this tool you can even share your font in the FontStruct gallery for free. This tool has a really nice interface with awesome features, I must say; with this free tool you can even create professional fonts, keeping the each pixel in your mind.