The AutoSave or Auto-Recover feature in Microsoft Word is a very handy feature as it saves your file automatically on a periodic basis. If required, you can set how frequently files are saved. For instance, if you set AutoSave to save every 5 minutes, you may recover more information in the event of data loss than if it’s set to save every 10 or 15 minutes. By default, AutoRecover saves Office files every 10 minutes. However, changing the time interval is easy.
How to adjust the AutoRecover time option in Word
AutoRecover or AutoSave does not replace the Save command. AutoRecover is only effective for unplanned disruptions, such as a power outage or a crash. AutoRecover files are not designed to be saved when a logoff is scheduled or an orderly shutdown occurs.
- If you are currently completing a post, click the ‘File’ tab. From the ‘File’ section showing up select ‘Options’.
- Next, under ‘Word Options’ dialog box’s menu list, choose ‘Save’.
- Scroll down until you find ‘Save documents’ section.
- There, ‘Save AutoRecover information every…‘ option should be visible to you.
- You will find by default the ‘Save AutoRecover information every…‘ checkbox is checked.
- Uncheck the option in case you want to disable AutoRecovery, and you do not want Word to automatically save your documents to a preset time.
- If you want to change the time interval, just use the Up-Down arrows to change the default time and set the new time limit.
How to change AutoRecover file location in Word
By default, the AutoRecover .files are saved in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ location.
But if you wish, you can change it too, here.
- Locate the AutoRecover file locations box
- Browse to the folder location where you want them saved and select it
- Click OK to save all the changes made.
How to change the Auto-save time interval in Excel?
- Open Excel spreadsheet
- Click on File in the main menu ribbon.
- Next, click on Options in Word.
- Now, a new window will pop up.
- On the left column tab, select the menu labeled as Save.
- And then on the right side, under the Save documents section, you will notice a checkbox option that says Save AutoRecover information every _ minutes. Make sure that checkbox is checked.
- There you can select the period of Autosave in minutes as per your wish.
- Click on OK on the bottom right portion of the window to save your changes.
Hope this helps.