In this article, we will cover the best free Molecular Modeling software for Windows 11/10 PC. Using these freeware, you can create models of various simple to complex chemical compounds. This software collection is helpful for the students of bioinformatics, chemical engineering, etc. You can add different elements from the Periodic Table to form a chemical compound. Moreover, in these software, you can also view a chemical compound in different styles, like wireframe, ball and stick, pipes, ball and cylinder, and more.
Molecular Modeling software for Windows 11/10
Some of these software also include different chemical groups and structures for your convenience. Simply select them, and your chemical model is ready. Examples of chemical groups include alcohols, benzene, aldehydes, amino acids, etc. Apart from that, you can also do chemical calculations like energy, bond length, etc.
- Ascalaph Designer
Let us take a look at them.
Avogadro is an excellent molecular modeling freeware that comes with plenty of features. Its user-friendly interface makes it easy to understand for the users. On launching the software, you will see a black screen and a panel on the left side. You can access some commonly used elements from the “drop-down menu” on the left panel. If you want to access all the elements, simply click on “other” in the drop-down menu, and the software will launch the Periodic Table. The element which you select from the Periodic Table will be available in the drop-down list.
Steps to draw a chemical compound:
- Select an element from the drop-down menu on the left panel and click on the black screen to add it.
- Now, select another element from the drop-down menu.
- Press and hold the left click of the mouse and drag it to the first element to connect it with a chemical bond. You can also select the type of chemical bond, single, double, or triple.
There are different buttons on the toolbar of the software:
- Draw tool: It lets you draw different molecular compounds.
- Navigation tool: Using it, you can move, rotate, zoom in and zoom out the molecular model.
- Bond centric manipulation tool: Select this tool and click on any of the bonds to view the angle.
- Auto rotation tool: Select this tool and click on the “Start” button. Now, press and hold the left click of the mouse and drag it in any direction. Release the left click, and the molecular model will start rotating automatically.
If you want to resize the bond length of compounds automatically, go to “Extensions > Optimize Geometry” or press “Ctrl+Alt+O.” To calculate the energy, go to “Extensions > Molecular Mechanics > Calculate Energy.”
Saving the File: You can save your project in multiple formats, including PDB, ENT, CHM, ALC, CDXML, CDX, C3D2, C3D1, SD, SDF, DMOL, CHT, GAM. Apart from this, an export option is also available, using which you can save your project in PDF, SVG, BMP, JPG, PNG, etc.
MoluCAD is another free molecular modeling freeware in this list. Like Avogadro, it also comes with a lot of features. In this software, you can view both 2D and 3D views adjacently. Some commonly used elements are available on the left panel of the software. To add it to the main space, simply click on any of the elements. If the element you want to add is not available there, you can select it from the Periodic Table. To view the Periodic Table, right-click on the black space and click on the “Add Atom” button.
Steps to draw a chemical compound:
- Click on any of the elements on the left panel to add it.
- Click on another element to add it, or you can select it from the Periodic Table.
- To connect the elements, go to “Add > Bonds – Connect Atoms” and select the type of chemical bond. Now click on the first atom and then click on the second one.
Apart from elements, you can also add compounds. On the right panel, you will find different molecules, amino acids, functional groups, lone pair atoms, etc. Select any structure and drag and drop it to the main space. You can calculate the energy of the molecules by clicking on “Energy > Evaluate Energy.”
Using the “Query” menu, you can calculate the distance between two atoms, bond length, bond angle, torsion angle, the centre of mass, etc. You can view the 3D structure in four different views, top, front, side, and oblique. Go to “View > Graphics Mode” to view the model in different forms, like ball & stick, space fill, pipes, and more.
Saving the file: You can save the project in MCD format. If you use the “Export” option in the “File” menu, you can save your project in JPEG and Windows BITMAP formats.
ArgusLab is another user-friendly molecular modeling software that comes with easy to understand features. Using this software, you can create the structure of different chemical compounds. On the left panel of the software, three tabs are available:
- Atoms: This tab contains different elements of the Periodic Table. On clicking each atom, the software displays its geometry. Click on the “Periodic Table” button to launch the Periodic Table.
- Rings: Here, you will get different types of chemical ring structures.
- Amino Acids: This tab shows different types of amino acids. In this tab, “Polypeptide Builder” is also available.
Steps to draw chemical compound:
- Click on the “Atom” tab on the left panel to add an element.
- Select any of the available elements. If your desired element is not there, you can select the same from the “Periodic Table.”
- Use right-click to place the element on the space provided.
- Select another element. Now, select the last element using the left-click and place the other element by using the right-click. This will join the two elements and form a compound.
- To add rings and amino acids in the space, follow the same steps.
4] Ascalaph Designer
Ascalaph Designer is one more good molecular modeling freeware. The best part of the software is that you need not install it on your PC. It comes with an executable file. The software will be downloaded in zip format. After extracting it, you will find the executable file in the “bin” folder.
Steps to draw a chemical compound:
- Press “Ctrl+N” to start a new project.
- To add elements, you have to open the Periodic Table. For this, go to “Build > Free Drawing.”
- Select any of the elements and place them in the space by pressing the “Ctrl+Shift” keys.
- Place another element using the above step and drag it to the last element to connect them with a chemical bond.
You can view every compound in different forms like ball and stick, wireframe, CPK, etc., by clicking on the buttons on the right panel. When you select any element from the Periodic Table, it shows you additional information like element name, hybridization, covalent, and Van Der Waals forces of attraction. Click on the “Analyze” menu to perform different calculations, including energy, temperature, pressure, dipole moment, etc.
Saving the file: You can save your project only in its own formats, including mim, hin, xmol, mmol, smol, etc. This is the demerit of this freeware.
We hope you found this post useful for your school and college projects.