The Windows 7 disk defragment utility is scheduled to work in the background. The Disk Defragmenter runs as a low priority task in the background without affecting the performance of the computer. It runs only when the machine is idle ! It uses the Task Scheduler to automatically keep the hard disk defragmented.
However, the Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter does not defragment the following files: Bootsect dos, Safeboot fs, Safeboot csv, Safeboot rsv, Hiberfil sys, Memory dmp and the Windows page file. It does not defragment files in the Recycle Bin; nor does it defragment files which are in use.
But using the -b parameter, as mentioned here, it can optimize the boot files.
Puran Defrag is a very simple disk defragmenter which will defrag the files and optimize your entire system, collecting all the fragments of a file and putting them together, as well as moving some frequently used files and all directories to faster disk areas. This process boosts your hard disk performance and thus overall system speed. In addition, it reduces wear and tear on your hard disk, thereby increasing its life span.
Puran Defrag Free
Puran Defrag Free provides a very powerful Boot Time Defrag that defragments not only the system files and files like MFT, Registry, Pagefile etcbut the entire drive, giving you the maximum benefits.
- Puran Intelligent Optimizer – PIOZR
- Directories Consolidation for speed boost
- Optimization by Freeing Space
- Automatic Defragmentation for worry free defrag
- Boot Time Defragmentation for system files like MFT
- Low Priority Defrag for work while defrag experience
- Individual File/Folder Defrag for selective defrag
- GUI and Console Command Line Defrag Supported
- Restart/Shutdown After Boot Time Defragmentation
- File/Folder Exclusion or exclusion by wildcard facility
- Native support for 64Bit Windows
- Supports Windows 7 & Vista too.
Some of the files like MFT, Registry, Pagefile etc cannot be defragmented or are not safe to defrag when Windows is running. This is when Boot Time Defragmentation displays its benefits, defragmenting these files at Windows Boot Time and getting optimal results.
UltraDefrag also has this feature which provides an ability to defragment any system files; including page file, registry hives, hiberfil.sys file and many other files locked by the system or other applications when Windows is fully running.
You might also want to check out some of the best free defragmentation software for Windows.