If Windows is stuck in Dark mode, follow these suggestions to get out of it. Here we have elaborated on some common reasons why your Windows 11/10 PC might be stuck in Dark mode. You need to follow all these solutions according to the cause.
Windows stuck in Dark Mode
If Windows 11/10 is stuck in Dark mode, follow these suggestions to get out of Drak Mode:
- Restart Windows Explorer
- Disable Auto Dark Mode
- Check Contrast themes settings
- Verify Group Policy settings
- Check Registry settings
To know more about these steps, keep reading.
1] Restart Windows Explorer
If you use Dev or Beta channel, restarting the Windows Explorer process could resolve the issue. If your system includes some bugs or glitches, it might be fixed by restarting Windows Explorer. For your information, you can restart Windows Explorer using Task Manager. To restart Windows Explorer in Windows 11/10, follow these steps:
- Press Win+X to open the WinX menu.
- Select Task Manager from the list.
- Find the Windows Explorer process.
- Click the Restart button.
Then, check if it is still stuck in Dark mode or not. If yes, follow the other solutions.
2] Disable Auto Dark Mode
There are some third-party apps that allow users to switch between Dark and Light modes automatically. You can set a time, and the modes will the enabled in automation. If you have such apps enabled on your computer, you need to disable it. One of the most common apps for this purpose is Auto Dark Mode. Check your system tray and Task Manager if you or someone has installed it on your PC.
3] Check Contrast themes settings
Windows 11 and Windows 10 come with some Contract themes that let users opt for a black theme or mode. If you have activated such a theme, you need to disable it immediately. To check the Contrast themes settings, follow these steps:
- Press Win+I to open Windows Settings.
- Go to Accessibility > Contrast themes.
- Expand the drop-down list.
- Choose the None option.
Then, check if it resolves your issue or not.
4] Verify Group Policy settings
There are some Group Policy settings that could be responsible for this issue on your computer. You need to check them one after one and set them to the factory defaults. To verify Local Group Policy Editor settings, follow these steps:
- Search for gpedit.msc and click on the search result.
- Go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization
- Find all the Enabled and Disabled settings.
- Double-click on each of them.
- Choose the Not Configured option.
- Click the OK button.
For your information, you need to check these settings:
- Prevent changing color scheme
- Prevent changing theme
- Prevent changing color and appearance
- Local a specific theme
- Force a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic
5] Check Registry settings
You can activate or deactivate the aforementioned settings using Windows Registry as well. If you turned them on earlier using Registry Editor, you need to disable them using the same utility.
To check the Registry settings, follow these steps:
- Press Win+R > type regedit > click the OK button.
- Click on the Yes button in the UAC prompt.
- Navigate to this path:
- Find all the REG_DWORD values with a Value data of 1.
- Double-click on them and set the Value data as 0.
- Click the OK button.
Then, close all the windows and restart your computer.
Why is my laptop stuck in dark mode?
There could be several reasons why your laptop is stuck in dark mode. Some of the common reasons and solutions are mentioned above. You can go through these solutions to get rid of the issue. For example, you can check the Registry settings, Group Policy settings, disable Contrast themes, etc.
How do I get my Microsoft Windows out of dark mode?
To get your Windows PC out of the dark mode, you need to open the Windows Settings first. Then, go to the Personalization tab and click on the Colors menu. Expand the Choose your mode drop-down list and select the Light option. Dark mode will be disabled automatically and immediately.
That’s all! Hope these solutions worked for you.