SyMenu is a free portable Start Menu Launcher and Replacement tool for Windows PC that lets you organize your portable applications easily and automatically links any application installed on the host computer.
Suppose you are working on something, like say a Word document and in the middle of your work, you feel like playing your favorite song. Unless you have a shortcut pinned to your taskbar, you need to go through a number of steps like open This PC, then the respective folder and then go to particular music file. SyMenu will generate a Start menu wherever you want it!
Start Menu Launcher and Replacement
Features of SyMenu
You can quickly access any of your files or applications without actually going to a particular file location. Here are some more features of SyMenu that are unique as well as beneficial.
- Whenever you launch SyMenu, all the applications installed on the host PC are automatically linked. Hence, you don’t have to worry about remembering all your applications and link them to this portable menu launcher.
- You can customize the menu generated by the SyMenu. The items linked to this tool are known as SyItems. These items as well as the indexed applications can be organized in a hierarchical structure. You can use colorful folders, separators and labels to separate them.
- The applications that are not displayed in the menu; but are present in your PC can be found using the internal search.
- You can also link the portable programs, documents, Windows commands, folders and URLs with the SyMenu tool.
- Adding new files to the SyMenu application is easy. Simply drag and drop the file from your PC to the SyItems. You can also use the mass importer tool to add these files.
- The linked items; whether they are from the USB device or from the host PC; can stay at the same location as SyMenu supports the absolute path, such as C:\Windows\Explorer.exe.
- SyMenu supports several languages such as Chinese Traditional, Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish and Swedish.
- And the last, but not the least: SyMenu tool is available for free of charge.
Here is a list of basic functionalities of the SyMenu
- Start Search bar
- Windows Start Menu wrapper
- Extension Manager
- Execution modes
- Batch Import
- Plug-in support
- SPS program suite
How to install and use SyMenu
Installing and using this Start menu replacement tool is quite easy. Follow these steps to launch the app and use it:
- Download the app from the SyMenu website. A zipped folder is downloaded within no time. You need to extract the contents of the ZIP to a folder by right-clicking the file and select Extract All.
- Open ‘SyMenu’ from the extracted files. When you click on it, a ‘Sy’ button appears on the desktop.
- Click on the ‘Sy’ button to open the new and portable ‘Start Menu’.
- Now, go to ‘This PC’. Using SyItems and you can see all the host programs, drives and the sub-menu within the drives.
- If you want to add any software or application from your USB drive to the SyMenu app, you need to go to Tools and then Configuration.
- Now click on Item Manager > Add Program and press the … button next to the ‘Path’ box. This will create an item in SyItems by clicking which you can launch the software from USB port
- In order to customize the SyMenu, you need click on Advanced and then Options. This opens the SyMenu-Options window. This is where you can change the theme of the app.
- You can also assign keyboard shortcuts for opening the Start menu.
It looks like a useful tool – something some of you definitely want to check out. Download it here.