Microsoft Windows 8 has introduced many revolutionary concepts and new features. For instance, it has introduced two new ways of logging in – by using Picture Password or by using PIN.
A Picture Password enables you to use a picture from your library as a password. You have to perform three gestures on the picture that you want to use as your password. For example, you can select, draw and resize some portion of the picture as you want.
Set up Picture Password in Windows 8.1
Follow these steps:
1. Open Control Panel by clicking on the Control Panel option in the default Metro style home screen.
2. In the Control Panel window, select Users and then click on the Create a Picture Password option.
3. Then you will be asked to enter your Login Password, before you can set a picture password. Make sure that your Windows 8 account has a password. If you haven’t got one, you cannot create a picture password.
4. After that, browse to the picture that you want to use as your password and select it.
5. You will be asked to perform 3 gestures which can be either selecting, resizing, creating straight lines or circles. You will need to redraw the pattern for confirmation.
Bingo! You have successfully setup a Picture Password. You will be asked to redraw the pattern at your next login.
If you think that Picture Password is too complicated for you but you still want to experience a change in the method of login, Microsoft Windows 8 has a solution for you in the form of PIN.
Though this method is faster than traditional login and Picture Password, it is less secure than Picture Password, as it can have at most four digits as a password. Still it is worth a try if you are using a touch based device.
Set up a PIN logon in Windows 8.1
Follow these steps to do it:
1. Click Create a Pin option in Pin login section.
2. You will be prompted to enter your Windows user account password. Click OK to continue.
3. Enter PIN number of your choice and click Finish button to complete the setup.
If you don’t want to use any of these methods, you can always stick to the traditional method of logging in to your Windows, at any time you want.
Go here to learn how to Activate Or Deactivate Picture Password Sign-In In Windows 8.