SEO or Search Engine Optimization is the process designing and building up a website in such a way, so as to result in an increase in the amount of visitors to a Web site, by making it rank high in the search results of a search engine. The higher a Web site ranks in the results of a search, the greater the chance that that site will be visited by a user.
It is common practice for Internet users to not click through pages and pages of search results, so where a site ranks in a search is essential for directing more traffic toward the site. Such search engine directed traffic is called as Organic Traffic and it is such traffic which helps the website go a long way!
SEO helps to ensure that a site is accessible to a search engine and improves the chances that the site will be found by the search engine. The true definition of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can be stated as a highly specialized process of building a successful website. We say successful because if a commercial website cannot be found in the major search engines, it is not successful, it just isn’t doing it’s job.
SEO revolves around following parameters:
- Business Analysis: It is very important for any successful business that they understand their business needs, potential customers, upcoming trends in the market.
- Keyword Research: Keywords research and analysis is a very important aspect for SEO because generally the crawlers or bots of the search engines look for the typical Keywords which have a very high demand by various users, so it is important that your website have general keywords more rather than the fancy customized words .
- Site Architecture: Well lot of emphasis should be given on easy site architecture. For the customers it should not be very complex technically and should be quite easy to understand and navigate but for SEO it is better that it is well built allowing crawling on specific pages only. Linking of pages should be proper.
- Content Development: I have come across many sites especially personal and SMEs websites which do not have not much emphasis on the content. The content should be specific to your product/services or your business operations only. It should be precise, short and lucid.
- Link Building: As I said earlier, linking of pages should be very proper according to the need or requirements. You should try to minimize the hyperlinks which take user out from your site where as emphasis must be laid on getting traffic from various other sites/social networking sites to your site.
- Analysis & reporting: Do the analysis of your site at regular intervals and check its rating from time to time. Try to use some tools to generate reports related to it and take measures accordingly.
Microsoft offers a free website designing tool called WebMatrix which can be downloaded at no cost. It has an inbuilt tool to generate SEO report, which I think all webmasters and bloggers should try out at least once for better results. Even if your site is not made via WebMatrix, then too you can use this tool.
You may also want to check out Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide from Google. To read more articles on SEO, click here!