The Internet of Things is a collection of interconnected smart devices. When a device is connected to the internet to enhance its abilities, it is called a smart device. Smart devices come in various sizes – as small as a small drone to as big as driverless trucks to Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). Since size is a factor, the motherboard needs to be as small as possible. And that is why people prefer Raspberry PI as it packs more power into smaller board. This article tells you how to install Windows 10 IoT Core on Raspberry Pi.
There are two IoT versions of Windows 10 for the Internet of Things from Microsoft. To know about them, read about Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Core vs Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. IoT Core is good for the single board, single app machines. If you have to install Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi, it would be IoT Core as it takes less space without compromising on quality. Let us see what you need to install Windows 10 IoT Core to Raspberry Pi 3.
Getting ready to install Windows 10 IoT Core to Raspberry Pi
You already have the motherboard/computer-board in the form of the Raspberry Pi. You will need:
- An input device to select language during installation
- A display to view the proceedings;
- An HDMI cable to connect Raspberry Pi to Display (either computer or TV)
- SD Card to be able to install the OS onto Raspberry Pi
- A shared WiFi connection
That’s the hardware part.
You will need a copy of Windows 10 IoT Core Dashboard. You can download it from the Microsoft website. You will get Setup.exe that you have to run to download the remaining components from the Internet. It takes a minute or two, depending on your computer and internet speed.
Towards the end of setup, you will get the Windows 10 IoT Core Dashboard. The first screen is the Set up a New Device screen, as shown below.
- Select the device type which would be “Raspberry Pi 3” or “Raspberry Pi 2 & 3”
- Make sure the OS Build is showing Windows IoT Core
- Insert a removable device (preferably an SD Card) on which the installer will be copied
- Enter your Administrator password and confirm it
- Select the correct Internet/WiFi connection and click Install
How to install Windows 10 IoT Core on Raspberry Pi
- Do not yet power up your Raspberry PI
- Insert the SD card into the Raspberry Pi 3 card slot
- Use the HDMI cable to connect the motherboard to TV/monitor
- Connect Internet – either Ethernet cable or USB WiFi
- Connect the Input device to be able to select the language during install
- Now power up the Raspberry Pi
As soon as you power up the Raspberry board, it boots and installs Windows IoT Core on itself. Now it is time to install your app to the Raspberry board. You can use your app or use one from the samples available in the Dashboard. Each sample is interconnected to an online help page telling you how to use it.
That’s it. That’s how you install Windows 10 IoT Core to Raspberry Pi 3. If you still have questions, please comment below.