A Spell check is a feature in Microsoft Office that allows users to identify and correct misspelled words; it will search your entire document for misspelled words, and if there is not any, a spelling dialog box will appear, giving you the option to ignore, add to a dictionary or change the word. Sometimes users do not want to spell check the entire worksheet, they want to spell check a specific region, for instance, to spell check the data at the bottom of the spreadsheet.
How to Spell Check a Specific Region in Excel
Follow the steps below to spell check specific regions, cells or columns in Microsoft Excel.
- Select the region you want to spell check.
- Go to the Review tab and click Spelling in the Proofing group
- A Spelling dialog box will open to make changes.
- A message box will appear; click OK.
- Spell check will check only the selected cells.
Select the region you want to spell check in the spreadsheet.
Go to the Review tab and click the Spelling button in the Proofing group.
A Spelling dialog box will open to make changes.
In the dialog box, there are options, such as Ignore, Ignore All, Add to dictionary, Change, Change All, and AutoCorrect.
To correct the error, click Change.
A message box will appear; click OK.
Spell check will check only the selected cells.
How do you spell check in Excel?
Using Spell check in Microsoft Excel is similar to Microsoft Excel 365; the difference is that the symbol has changed; Excel displays the Spell check button in capital letters, while Excel 365 in common letters. Follow the steps below to use Spell check in Excel.
- Click the Review tab, then click the Spelling button in the Spelling group.
- A Spelling dialog box will appear with suggestions for correction. You can choose the options to ignore, add to a dictionary, or change the word if desired.
- A dialog box will appear after reviewing spelling errors.
- Then click OK.
Which key is used for spelling and grammar checks?
The key that can open the Spell check dialog box is the F7 key on the keyboard, so instead of going to the Review tab and clicking the Spell check button, you can select the F7 key.
We hope this tutorial helps you understand how to Spell Check a specific region in Excel; if you have questions about the tutorial, let us know in the comments.