If you want to find a particular person online, you can log in to your Facebook account and search and find them. Your chances of discovering the individual you are looking for are high because it is the most prominent social networking site. The platform’s core purpose is to connect people by sharing personal or professional information. The website allows users to submit a variety of information through their profiles.
How to Search for People using Facebook
You can use Facebook to your advantage to search for people or locate someone, whether a long-lost friend, relative or colleague.
- Search by Person’s Name
- Search Person’s Name using Company or School as Filter
- Search in Facebook Friends list
- Search by Phone Number
These steps will guide you in finding a person online quickly.
1] Search by the Person’s Name
One way to look for people on Facebook is to type the name on the primary search bar at the top of your Facebook account. After typing the name, you can narrow down the search results and go through the list of names and their profile pictures to find the person.
- You can make use of Filters while using Facebook’s people search feature.
- For example, type the name Mathew to search for a specific person. At the end of the name list that drops down, click on Search for Mathew.
- You can find a list of filters on the new page’s left pane. If you only want to find people, choose People to filter out business pages, events, and other material.
2] Search the Person’s Name using Company or School as a Filter
If you cannot search and find the person you are looking for, you can use the Education filter and the Work filter to search for the person.
- On the left pane, under the People filter, click on Work. You can type the company name where the person you are looking for has worked, and it will display a list of names of the person who has or is working in the company.
- If you want to identify former classmates using the name of the school you attended, use the Education filter to type the school name and press Enter. The person’s name with the name you have typed will be displayed if they have mentioned the name of their school in their profile.
3] Search in the Facebook Friends list
One of the best ways to find the person you are looking for is to search your friends’ lists, as they might be mutually connected to the person you are looking for. There are several ways to do so.
- From the People filter, choose Friends. You can search for the person you are looking for using the two options, My Friends and Friends of Friends.
- If the person you are searching for is in your Friends list, click on the filter Friends, and from the drop-down menu, click My Friends, and the person’s profile will be displayed if the person is on your Friends list. You can also search for the person from the Friends of Friends filter.
- A mutual friend search is the best option if, for instance, you or another friend used to work together, attend the same school, or reside in the same location.
- To view your friend’s friends, go to their profile and click the Friends option. You can browse and search the entire list or go through their most recent additions of friends and friends from certain groups, such as their place of employment, community, or high school.
- Browse the People You May Know page, a list of people you might know based on your Facebook friends, as another option for finding a friend.
Note that these methods will not work if the friend you are using to search for a person has their friends list locked down, as Facebook allows users to hide their Friends list.
4] Search by Phone Number
Another method to search for a person on Facebook is by typing the person’s phone number in case the person has updated the phone number in their profile and has set it to public.
- You can start by typing the phone number in the Facebook search bar.
- Include the area code and the phone number, which should be added as a string of digits without any punctuation or formatting.
- Press Enter and the desired result should appear at the top of the page.
If you do not see a result, it is likely that the individual has their profile set to private and is not interested in being found. Also, the person might not even have a Facebook account linked to that phone number.
If you don’t see a result, it is likely that the individual has their profile set to private and is not interested in being found. They could not even have a Facebook account linked to that phone number.
Read: Best People Search Engines to Find people easily
You can follow these simple methods above to find the person you want. If you are still unable to locate someone using a Facebook search, it could be because your search is too general. For instance, hundreds of “Tom” users can be on Facebook. To be more particular, get the full name and location.
It is also possible that the person you are looking for has blocked you or reduced their privacy settings. Sometimes people fail to remember that their settings have limitations. Ask them to check their privacy settings if you are still unable to locate one of your friends.
How can I find someone on Facebook without knowing anything?
To find someone on Facebook without knowing anything about the person, you need to use the city, common or mutual friend name, educational institute, or workplace of the person. However, if you do not have any such information about the person, there is almost no way to come to know about him/her.
Why can’t I find someone on Facebook, and I am not blocked?
If you are having problems finding someone on Facebook, you can filter by their city, education, city, work, and mutual friends. Depending on your chosen filters, you might need to add more information about your friend. You can use as many filters as you would like in your search. Some people might not appear when you search for them, as they might have limited who can find them on Facebook in their privacy settings.