The Magnifier is a feature of Windows 11/10. By using this, you can enlarge a part of your screen or the whole screen, so you can see words and images better. You can customize the Magnifier zoom level, smooth edges of image and text, change how the mouse pointer works with the magnifier, and many other settings. The Magnifier could magnify the screen up to 16x times its normal size. It is useful for people with poor vision or who have difficulties seeing objects on their computer screen. In this article, we will guide you with different ways to Enable or Disable the Magnifier on Windows 11/10.
How to Enable or Disable Magnifier on Windows 11
By Enabling the Magnifier in Windows 11, you can use a variety of methods like a start menu shortcut, a hotkey, a quick setting, the settings app, and a control panel. To Enable or Disable Magnifier on Windows 11, follow the below steps.
- Press the Window icon and choose Settings
- After opening settings, click on Accessibility in the left side pane
- Click on the Magnifier on the right side of Accessibility
- The Magnifier settings page will open
- Now, toggle On or Off the Magnifier to Enable or Disable it
You can open the Magnifier settings page quickly by using the shortcut keys Window + Ctrl + M. And you can use the shortcut keys Window + + to zoom in the Magnifier(Also used to quickly launch the Windows Magnifier Application) and Windows + – to zoom out the Magnifier.
Enable or Disable Magnifier on Windows 10
To quickly Enable or Disable the Magnifier in Windows 10, you can use these steps.
- Click on Start and then open Settings
- On the Windows Settings page, click on Ease of Acces
- Click on Magnifier on the left side pane
- On the right side of the Magnifier, go to the Use Magnifier section
- Now, to Enable or Disable the Magnifier, turn the Turn on Magnifier button On or Off
Hopefully, now you can Enable or Disable the Magnifier on Windows 10.
Stop Magnifier from starting up when Windows starts
If your Magnifier also turns on automatically when you turn on your computer, which bothers you, then you can use the following steps to turn it off and stop loading up at the boot time.
- Click on Start and in the search box type Control Panel
- After opening the control panel set View by to Large icons
- Now, go to the Ease of Access Center
- After that, in the Explore all settings section, click on the link Make the computer easier to see
- Now in the next tab, scroll down the page and go to the Make things on the screen larger section
- Uncheck the box named Turn on Magnifier
- Now, click on the Apply button
- Next, click the OK button
Now, if you want to enable the Magnifier on your computer repeat the above steps, and on the 6th step Check the box named Turn on Magnifier.
Read: How to keep Magnifier mouse cursor in the center of the screen
How to permanently disable Magnifier on Windows 11/10
Now, even if you turn off the Magnifier from your computer using the above steps. But still, when you accidentally press the Window + + keys, the Magnifier will open immediately. So, to permanently disable Magnifier, follow the below steps.
- Click on Start and in the search box type Command Prompt
- Click on Run as administrator
- Type the following command on the Command Prompt and press Enter, it will change the ownership of the Magnify.exe app and grant full permission to the Administrators
takeown /f C: \Windows\System32\Magnify.exe
- Now, type the below command and press the Enter
cacls C: \Windows \System32\Magnify.exe /G administrators:F
- Now, type Y and press Enter
- Now, close the Command Prompt and open File Explorer
- In the File Explorer go to this C:\Windows\System32 folder
- Right-click on the Magnify.exe file and rename it to Magnify.exe.bak
Once you complete the above steps, the Magnifier won’t start any longer, even if you press the Window + + or Window + – keys.
How do I change the Magnifier settings?
If you want to change your magnifier settings, then you can change them by pressing the following shortcut keys.
- Ctrl + Alt + D: Switch to the Dock view
- Ctrl + Alt + L: Switch to the Lens view
- Ctrl + Alt + F: Switch to the full-screen view
- Ctrl + Alt + Mouse scroll wheel: Zoom in/out on the PC using the mouse scroll wheel
- Windows + +: Zoom in on the PC
- Windows + -: Zoom out on the PC
- Windows + Esc: Turn off Magnifier
- Windows + Ctrl + M: Open Magnifier settings
Read: How to use the Magnifier on Windows 11 PC
How do I change the default zoom in Windows 11/10?
In the Magnifier setting, there is a Zoom level option that shows the percentage that presents the zoom amount, with which we can increase or decrease the zoom level of our computer screen, now if you want to change the zoom level, follow the below steps.
- Click on Start and then open Settings
- Click on Accessibility on the left side pane
- Click on the Magnifier on the right side of the Accessibility
- Now, you will see the Zoom level option
- Now, here you can change the default zoom level