GCode aka Geometric-Code is a programming code that provides instructions to the CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine and controls it. It basically tells CNC and 3D printing machines what or how to print the designs. Now, you can convert a design saved in AutoCAD Drawing eXchange Format (DXF) file to GCode in Windows 11/10.
To convert DXF to GCode, you can use a free software called DXF2GCODE. It is a dedicated software for Windows 11/10 to convert DXF and other 2D drawings like PDF and PS to GCode. Let’s have a look at the steps to convert DXF to GCode using this free and open-source software.
Convert DXF to GCode
Follow the below steps to generate GCode from DXF file using this software:
Launch DXF2GCODE and import a DXF file to this software using File > Open option.
Go to the Export menu and then click on the Export Shape option.
Enter the Gcode filename and then press the Save button.
Features of this DXF2GCODE Converter:
Here are some primary features of DXF2GCODE:
- You can view DXF drawings before conversion.
- It displays Entities and Layers of DXF designs in a tree-like tab present in the left-side panel. You select/ deselect any shapes from the DXF file as per your requirement.
- It allows you to configure various Postprocessor configurations. Some of these configurations are output options like export absolute coordinates, perform cutter compensation outside the piece, maximum arc radius, etc.
- You can also adjust contour tolerance values, move workpiece zero offsets, split line segments, rotate contour, and customize measurement unit.
- It lets you select machine type from Milling, Lathe, and Drag Knife to generate GCode.
- You can also define your own tools table and custom GCode actions to create GCode from DXF files.
You can download and install DXF2GCODE on your Windows PC from sourceforge.net.
Read next: How to convert AHK to EXE file.