One of the new features of Windows 10/8 is Fast Startup which is also known as Hybrid Boot. We had a look at it a few days back. The work of this feature is to save the current kernel session and device drivers in hyberfil.sis, whose memory is about 4-8 GB or more.
Force Windows 10 to always boot using Fast Startup
Using this concept, Windows can give you about 30-65% fast startup, after shut down. Hence compared to its earlier versions, Windows 10/8 wins the race in this segment. If you have a motherboard with UEFI, then the Fast Startup will be even faster!
But there are some settings that can be configured to disable the fast startup function. If you are using a multi-user system, it may be possible that some other users may tweak this setting, and you might not be able to enjoy the fast startup. You may also end up wondering why your Windows is booting relatively slowly.
In this article, we’re going to share you the trick to lock the tweaking option, so that only you can change the setting for Hybrid Boot. Actually by default “Fast startup” is turned on, but using this way, you can force it to stay on and gray out the settings to be able to turn it off.
Disable option to Turn off Hybrid Boot or Fast Startup
You can disable the option to Turn off Hybrid Boot or Fast Startup using GPEDIT or REGEDIT and for Windows 10/8 to always boot using Fast Startup.
Using Registry Editor
1. Press the Windows Key + R simultaneously and put regedit in the Run dialog box.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. Now right-click in the right pane of the window. Create a DWORD value and name it “HiberbootEnabled”.
4. Right-click on above-created DWORD value, select Modify. You will get this window:
5. Now you can use the following values for Value data section:
- Do NOT force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = ‘0’ (Default Setting)
- Force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = ‘1’.
6. Close Registry Editor and reboot to see results.
Using Group Policy Editor
This option for using group policy is only available in the Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise editions.
1. Press Windows Key + R combination and put gpedit.msc in the Run dialog box.
2. In the left pane navigate to:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization
3. Now look in the right pane, you’ll get the policy named Require use of fast startup as shown above.
4. Double click on this policy to get the window shown below.
5. Now you can use the following settings:
- Force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = Enable
- Do NOT force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = Disabled/Not configured (Default Setting)
After making changes click Apply followed by OK.
That’s it. Reboot to see the results.
TIP: This post will show you how to change the Windows Boot Logo.