Did you just come across the MISSING DOWNLOADED FILES error on Steam? The missing of the downloaded files on Steam can mainly be attributed to installing an app or game on the platform. It can also be due to updating a particular game or file. There are various reasons that can lead to the appearance of the MISSING DOWNLOADED FILES error on the Steam application. Luckily, there are multiple fixes you can adopt to resolve the problem. This article will discuss the causes and potential solutions to this Steam error.
Why Does Download Files Error Occur on Steam?
There are various reasons that can lead to the MISSING DOWNLOADED FILES Error on Steam. These are:
- Corrupted downloaded files: In some cases, the downloaded files can get corrupted after they are downloaded due to the Windows defender.
- Missing downloaded files: Sudden power outrage can interfere with downloading games or files. When such an event occurs, the files can get missing.
- Corrupted or damaged game files: Sometimes, malicious software or viruses can attack your system. It can also lead to the corruption of the game files, leading to the Downloaded Files Error.
Fix MISSING DOWNLOADED FILES error on Steam
To successfully restore the missing downloaded files in Steam on your Windows PC, follow these suggestions:
- Restore from Steam Library
- Remove Content and Reinstall
- Restore Lost Game Files
- Rename ClientRegistry.blob
- Add installation libraries
- Check if Antivirus is blocking the download
You need to check one by one until the problem is fixed on your computer.
1] Restore from Steam Library
Are you experiencing a greyed-out Steam library? Maybe Steam is preventing you from accessing the games? In that case, you can try restoring the Steam library. Here are the steps:
- Open the Steam application.
- Select Library on the top of the screen.
- On the left panel, search for the game you want. Right-click on the desired game.
- Click on Properties.
- Now, go to the LOCAL FILES tab and select it.
- Click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES
After that, you will need to wait still the verification process completes. Now, you can start playing the game on the Steam platform.
2] Remove Content and Reinstall
- Open Steam and click on Library
- Right-click on the game you want to remove
- Click on Manage and then choose to Uninstall.
- Redownload the game from the Library
- Once complete, restart the Steam application
- Launch the game and check if you see the error.
3] Clear Local Download Cache
Did you know that Steam uses files that store the information associated with games and Steam installations? That is why resetting the file can aid in restoring the missing downloaded game files on Steam. Check out these steps:
- Open Run Prompt using Win + R
- Type steam://flushconfig/ and press the Enter key
- A prompt will appear which will want about clearing the local download cache
- Click on the Ok button and then login to Steam
Now, you need to check if the missing game files have appeared or not.
4] Add installation libraries
- Open the Steam app and click on the Steam menu on the top.
- Then click on Settings > Downloads
- Click on the Steam Library Folders button to open the existing Steam Library folders.
- Tap on ADD LIBRARY FOLDER. It will lead to selecting the folder with the installed games.
Now, you need to wait till the change is done. After that, you can visit the Steam library to see the installed games.
However, if this process doesn’t work, you can opt for this alternative method:
- Make a new folder and shift all content from the original folder on Steam to this one.
- Rename the original (now empty) steam folder.
- Now, move the content from the new folder to the original one.
- Restart the system.
- Go to Steam.
- Click on Settings.
- Select Downloads.
- Click on Steam Library Folders.
- Tap on ADD LIBRARY FOLDER.
- Click on the renamed (new) steam folder.
- Now, wait till the process is done and see if you can see the disappeared games on the folder.
5] Check if Antivirus is blocking the download
In some cases, your antivirus software can block downloading the files from Steam. It is simply a case of misdiagnosis and precaution from the antivirus. You need to check the list of the files that your antivirus software has blocked due to the perceived notion of a threat.
If you are sure it is a false positive and want to proceed, you can re-download the file. In some cases, you will need to disable the antivirus software temporarily.
6] Restore Lost Game Files
You can restore missing files using the Steam Backup Restore feature. If you do not use that feature, another way to recover lost game files is to use recovery software. It can be a matter of chance and depends on many factors, but it can work. You can choose from a wide array of file recovery software to restore the missing game files.
- Launch the software of your choice on your system.
- Click on the storage location or the disk where the downloaded game files have gone missing.
- Click on Scan.
- The software will scan the disk and locate all missing and deleted games or files.
- Wait for the scanning to finish.
- After that, select Filter.
- Click on Type and choose the specific file type that you have lost.
- Check out the lost files or games.
- Choose the game you want to restore.
- Press the Recover button.
- Make sure that you restore the file to another location on the system. You can also keep it on another storage device (external).
Once you find the files, copy them into the respective folder and check if the game is working as expected. For the future, make sure to keep a backup of all the Steam games, so it is easy to restore.
Downloaded Files Error on Steam is a common occurrence that users have frequently reported. In that case, it becomes imperative to assess and identify the underlying causes. After that, you can apply the best solutions to resolve the fix. Keep in mind that you can always opt for the assistance of a professional if none of the solutions fix the problem.
How to Backup Games on Steam?
You can use the Steam backup feature to create the backup files of the games you want. For that, you will need to go to the Steam Library. Moreover, you also need to ensure that you create the backup files in the folder of your choice. There are easy steps involved that won’t take much time.
Will I lose games if I reinstall Steam?
No, you won’t lose games if you reinstall Steam. However, it would be best to keep ensuring that the games are backed up. After reinstalling Steam, you need to restore the games.