In this tutorial, we will describe how to enable and disable desktop notifications for Gmail in Windows 10. Gmail a.k.a., Google Mail is a free email service from Google. Today, it is among the most widely used email services.
We receive many emails in our inbox daily. Some emails require immediate action from the user. For example, when Google notices any suspicious activity on our account, we receive a security alert email. In such a case, we have to take immediate action to protect our account. Because we are busy doing our job, it is difficult to check Gmail for new messages. That’s why Google has added a facility to enable desktop notifications for Gmail.
You can enable desktop notifications either for important emails only or for all email messages. This depends on you how you want to use this feature.
Enable desktop notifications for Gmail in Windows 10
To enable desktop notifications for Gmail, you have to follow the steps listed below:
- Launch your web browser and log into your Gmail account.
- Click on the gear icon on the top right corner of your account and then click See all settings.
- Scroll down under the General tab and look for the option, Desktop notifications.
- There, you will find two options, New mail notifications On and Important mail notifications On.
- If you select the first option, you will receive desktop notifications for all the emails.
- If you select the second option, you will receive desktop notifications only for the emails marked as important.
- After selecting the option of your choice, click on the link “Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail.”
- When you click this link, your web browser will show you a pop-up message asking you to allow Gmail to send email notifications, click Allow.
- Now, scroll down and click on the Save Changes button.
After that, you will start receiving desktop notifications for Gmail.
If you want to disable the desktop notifications, repeat the first three steps listed above and select the Mail notifications Off option, and click on the Save Changes button.
Important points to remember
- You will receive desktop notifications only if you have opened Gmail on your web browser. If you close the Gmail tab on your browser, you will not receive any notifications.
- If you use multiple web browsers, you have to enable desktop notifications for each web browser separately by clicking on the link described in step 5 above.
- If despite enabling the desktop notifications in Chrome or Edge, you do not receive the desktop notifications, check permissions of Chrome and Edge in Windows Settings. For this, go to “Settings > System > Notifications & actions.” Scroll down the right pane and check the permissions (see the above screenshot).