Along with Windows 10/8, you might have a great experience of using Office 2016/13, because this Office edition comes with lots of new features and improvements. The Pick Up Where You Left Off feature lets you start working at just that point, where you may have stopped working the earlier day, maybe. This is because Word keeps track of the last three locations where you typed or edited text. In some earlier versions of Word, you had to press Shift+F5 to use the Go Back feature. In-Office, you will get a notification on the left side asking if you want to Pick up where you left off.
When you close a document, Word automatically bookmarks your most recent position in the document. If you take a break from reading, when you reopen your document, you can pick up where you left off. If you are signed in to Office, Resume Reading works even if you reopen the document from a different computer or another device.
If you feel that this feature is not useful for you, then you may want to disable it. In this article, we’ll show you the way to disable this feature completely, so that it won’t irritate you anymore. Here is how:
Disable Pick Up Where You Left Off in Word
1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put Regedt32.exe in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the following location:
3. Here the Reading Locations key is the culprit and is responsible for arising the tip on every start-up of Office components. If you delete this key, it will help you to disable tip immediately. But as soon as you reboot the machine, the key will be written by the system again and the tip will start popping up. So we need to make this key read-only for everyone so that it can’t be re-written by the system. To make this key read-only, right-click over it and pick Permissions.
4. Click on Advanced in the above-shown window. Now uncheck the option “Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object”.
5. Click Apply followed by OK, again do the same for Permissions window. You may close the Registry Editor now, reboot to see results.
Hope you find the article useful!