The Windows 8 DP has been just released and already tipsand tweaks on Windows 8 have started making the round. Then can an app for Windows 8 be too far behind? Well, here we are with the first tweaking utility for Windows 8! A Metro UI Tweaker for Windows 8.
Metro UI Tweaker for Windows 8
Metro UI Tweaker Tool is a freeware tool, designed to tweak a few settings that are unavailable to users in Windows 8.
The tweaks being currently offered are:
- Disable Metro Start Menu: Disables only Metro Start Menu Screen. This function requires editing a System File. It does not remove the file.
- Disable Metro Ribbon: Disables only the Metro Ribbon UI. This function I discovered myself. It requires Taking Ownership of a System File. It does not remove this file.
- Disable Metro Start Menu and Ribbon: Disables the Metro Start Menu UI, Ribbon UI, Metro Task Manager UI and the Lock Screen.
- Enable Metro Start Menu and Ribbon: Re-enables all available Metro UI options.
- Add Power Options to the Metro Start Menu Screen: Logoff, Switch User, Lock, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown
- Add any Application/File to the Metro UI Start Menu Screen: Some Applications/Files may not be available to you to add to the Metro Start Menu Screen. This program allows you to add those Applications/Files which would otherwise be unavailable.
Onfirst run the program will generate a folder in your Windows Directory labeled Metro UI Tools. This folder is to keep your Power Option apps in places without worrying about them having to be moved. Once generated and the files are unpacked from the program, do not remove the folder or the Power Apps from this folder as these options will no longer be available and may generate errors.
Metro UI Tweaker v 1.0 for Windows 8.1/8, 32-bit and 64-bit, has been developed by Lee Whittington for The Windows Club. It will be updated with more tweaks from time to time. NOTE: This tool is now unable to disable Start Screen in Windows 8 CP.
Donations made are in no way affiliated with The Windows Club but go towards furthering Lee’s projects.