If you are looking for a tool that can analyze and troubleshoot your problematic Wi-Fi networks, Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector is the right application to use. It is free powerful software for monitoring Wi-Fi networks.
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
You can monitor Wi-Fi networks on your laptop easily with the help of this freeware. With Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector you can get detailed information about the available Wi-Fi networks, can manager Wi-Fi connection on your laptop and can also troubleshoot Wi-Fi connection issues.
There are many features associated with Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Some of these are as follows:
- Simple UI so easy to understand and use
- Dynamic radar to show Wi-Fi networks and their distance
- You can get the detail information about all the local networks
- For troubleshooting three types of test is there- Connection, Speed and Quality
- Real time graph of signal strength
- You can directly connect and disconnect to Wi-Fi connection
- You can Enable/Disable Wi-Fi adapter
Uses of Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
There are several scenarios where you can use this software:
- One can search for Wi-Fi network using Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
- Troubleshoot Wi-Fi network issues
- Locate Wi-Fi devices
- Verify Wi-Fi coverage
- Detect rogue APs
- Aiming of Wi-Fi antennas and Wi-Fi education
How it monitors Wi-Fi networks
The working of the application is quite simple to understand and use. If you can see the UI of the software then you will find that there are four blocks on top under the Home menu leaving the Help block. The detailed description of each block and their associated options are given below:
1. Layout: Options that you can find under Layout are as follows:
- Radar: Radar shows you the dynamic view of the Wi-Fi networks in the local area. You can see the dot that corresponds to the particular Wi-Fi network with the name displaying inside the radar circle. You can also see the distance of the network from the Radar center depending upon the Wi-Fi signal strength. This will help you to monitor Wi-Fi.
- History and Networks: As soon as you click this option, it will show you all the networks with the current network signal strength. Here you can see all the information related to the networks like Network Mode, Frequency etc.
- History: This will show you the signal strength of the active current Wi-Fi connection.
- Networks: Network will just show you the entire networks and its associated information.
- Show All: When you click on Show All it will show you Radar, Connection, Networks and Signal Strength all together in a single main window. Here the ‘Connection’ window shows the details of the current Wi-Fi connection that include Wireless information and address information.
2. Tests: Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector has got three built-in tests that can help you while troubleshooting and characterizing the Wi-Fi connection. As soon as you click on any of these three tests- Connection, Speed and Quality, it will take you to their relative page and show you the test results. This will best help you to monitor Wi-Fi and diagnose if some problem occurs.
3. Polling: Polling is used to determine the updated information of the local network. The default value is 5 second, but if you want to get the immediate poll you can use Refresh button. You can stop polling but click on the Stop button.
4. Settings: In order to change the application setting, click on Settings button from the menu. As soon as you are done with the settings click on OK. You can also export the current networks to a .csv file by clicking on ‘Export Networks’.
There are a few requirements which you must keep in mind before start using this application. These are listed below:
- Supported operating system: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP2
- Wi-Fi adapter should be either built-in or external
- You must have adobe flash player installed on your system to run the speed test.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector is a nice software that allow users to monitor networks and get the detailed information about each of them. Just visit the download page to download the freeware. It will not take much time to getdownload as the total size of the software is just in few MBs. You will be required to give out your name and email ID, however!