One of my client ran into an issue where he was unable to log in to his Windows 8 using Microsoft account. He received a message that the password he used was incorrect, when in fact he was using the correct password. First I thought that he might be trying wrong password. But he was able to login to his Outlook.com account with the same password. Then I found that even my login was giving the same error message. I was really puzzled.
Cannot log in to Windows 8 when Webroot SecureAnywhere is installed
I started to track the steps he had taken in the recent past. He said that he had applied Windows Update, downloaded and installed a couple of applications and installed Webroot SecureAnywhere. It was working fine, when all of sudden this happened.
I did a System Restore.
- From the login screen, click the Power control.
- Hold down the Shift key and click Restart.
- On the Choose an Option screen, click Troubleshoot.
On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced Options.
On the Advanced Options screen, click System Restore and follow the prompts.
After the System Restore I was able to log in, his log in also worked fine. Then we installed each application one by one and it all worked fine.
After Webroot SecureAnywhere completed its first full scan we had the same issue again. So we had finally found the culprit.
So I suggested that he contact Webroot support. As it turns out the issue was documented and applying an update will fix the problem. But to do it, we first had to do a System Restore again to fix the issue.
According to the article this issue is resolved in version 22.214.171.124 and higher. The issue was that Webroot SecureAnywhere removes the LiveSSP key located in the following registry key:
Well if you ever run into this issue now you know how to fix it. The moral of story always keep all your programs up to date.
I hope you find this article helpful.