If you cannot upgrade to the latest Windows 8.1 version on a computer that uses the Intel Celeron J1 processor, Intel Core processor or the Inter Atom CPU Z3 processor, then you may be required to ensure that these updates are applied.
Upgrading to Windows 8.1 on Intel Core, Celeron, Atom systems
Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) drivers can cause an operating system upgrade to fail and roll back to the earlier or prior version, that is, the system version from which you started the upgrade on a Windows 8.1-based or Windows 8-based system. The reason this happens is because on computers that run on is the Intel Celeron J1 processor, Intel Core i7 processor, the Intel Core i5 processor, Intel Core i3 processor or Intel Atom CPU Z3 processor installed, there is a bug in the Intel DPTF driver, and this bug blocks the upgrade.
To resolve this issue, download and apply the following updates: Intel Core | Celeron J1 | Atom CPU Z3. Please ensure that you apply the correct fix for your version after checking for 32-bit and 64-bit downloads.
If you need any additional help while installing or upgrading to Windows 8.1, have a look at these posts:
- Error Code 0x80240031 while Updating from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
- Your Windows 8.1 install couldn’t be completed error
- Something happened and the Windows 8.1 couldn’t be installed. Error code 0x80070714
- Troubleshooter updated to fix Windows 8.1 Update 10×80070002, 0x80070003 errors
- Windows 8.1 Update fails to install.
- Tags: Upgrade