Windows 10 has received its first major update – dubbed as the Windows 10 November Update 1511. As was expected, when Microsoft released Build 10586 to Windows Insiders few days back, the build was about bug fixes and general improvements. Also this Insider build did not put the Windows version watermark on the Desktop, so it was expected that this version would be made available as an update to the regular Windows 10 users.
Microsoft has now announced that Windows 10 is getting a major update. Most of the improvements are under the hood.With this free update, Microsoft says,
“…we have reached the point in the platform’s maturity where we can confidently recommend Windows 10 deployment to whole organizations.”
New features added to the Windows 10 November major update
As a normal user, one can experience some of these improvements:
- Boot time is now nearly 30% faster than Windows 7 on the same device. So that’s a big boost in performance.
- Improvements in Microsoft Edge browser:
- performance and security improved.
- It also now has tab preview. Just hover over your open tab and get a preview without leaving the page you are on.
- Sync your Favorites and Reading lists across devices.
- Cortana will suggest best coupons** from various retailers such as Staples, Macys, Best Buy when shopping using Microsoft Edge.
- Cortana improved:
- Now you can use devices’ pen** to scribble a note in Cortana Notebook and Cortana will recognize the phone number, email address and even regular address to help set reminders.
- Can keep track of events and movie bookings and thus sending useful reminders.
- Book and track an Uber**
- Cortana now made available in Japan, Australia, Canada and India (in English) with features customized for respective market.
- Default Apps like Mail, Calendar, Photos, Groove, Xbox, Store, Solitaire and others improved.
IT Pros and Enterprise PC :
People may it be the regular users or in the Enterprise, want their devices to simply work and secure. They want to use their own familiar device with the apps they know and love. They want to experience their devices that spans personal with professional use.
This major update also empower IT Pros.They want to maintain control and reliable quality of services. The update spans all device types thus enabling management of both corporate owned and BYOD.
This update introduces 2 free services designed for IT.
- Windows Update for Business:
- Update provides better IT control over deployment within ones organization without compromising on Security at reduced management cost.
- Setting up device groups with scaling and staggered deployments
- Windows Store for Business:
- Update provides more flexibility to IT to acquire, manage and distribute apps to Windows 10 devices. It includes both Windows Store apps and custom business apps.
- Choice of preferred distribution method.
The update also provides new capabilities for IT to empower to use multiple devices effectively and securely. Mobile Device Management allows to manage entire family of Windows devices that includes PCs, tablets, phones, and IOT. This can also manage BYOD scenarios. Azure Active Directory Join empowers IT to maintain one directory enabling people to have one login and securely roam their Windows settings and data across all of their Windows 10 devices.
Windows 10 strengthened Security:
- Credential Guard: This security feature safeguards credentials inside a hardware based virtualized environment.
- Device Guard: Trusted Boot prevents intruders from installing malware keeping the company devices secure.
- Windows Hello: Provides Enterprise grade biometrics such as fingerprint and facial recognition eliminating passwords.
- Windows Defender: Free anti-malware service protects millions of Windows devices.
This update also provides the enterprise customers to turn off all telemetry data if they choose to do so.
As can be seen, this major update brings improvements for all kinds of users. Announcing this, Microsoft said Windows 10 will continue to evolve over time. It also added that Windows 10 also starts rolling to Xbox One today and very soon to select mobile phones.
If you are already running Windows 10, you will receive this November update as per your Windows Update settings. And if you are a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 user, One can upgrade to Windows 10 for free as per the free offer and get this update as part of Windows 10 upgrade. Once upgraded, your Windows version will be 1511 Build 10586.3.
This post tells you how to enable Find My Device in Windows 10.