Windows 10 1903 May 2019 update is the latest and the greatest major update for Windows 10 from Microsoft. It recently made Generally Available to the users. It brings with it several new features, and there are a number of major features and enhancements released for IT Professionals. The thing that is worth noting that these new features are a boon for IT Professionals and are shipped to everyone with the new release of Windows 10 1903 May 2019 update. These new features are built to upgrade the deployment, accessibility, security, and other functions of the Windows 10 operating system. In this article, we will be discussing them.
Windows 10 1903 New features for IT Pros
We have already taken a look at the new features in Windows 10 v1903. Today, we will be discussing the new features for IT Pros in Windows 10 v1903 in the following areas:
- Microsoft Edge.
- Reserved Storage: You can learn more about Reserved Storage in our guide.
- Windows Autopilot: Windows Autopilot is a collection of tools that will enable the System Administrator to set up pre-configured devices. Microsoft has introduced Windows Autopilot for white glove development, tracking of Intune Management Extensions, Cortana voiceover and speech recognition disabled by default, Diagnostics data level to be set Full by default.
- Windows 10 Subscription Activation: Support for the Windows 10 Education edition has been added to Windows 10 Subscription Activation.
- SetupDiag: SetupDiag is based on the command line and is used to diagnose why a Windows 10 update failed by scanning Windows Setup log files. In this release, SetupDiag has been updated to version 1.4.1.
- Delivery Optimization: Some new policies have been enabled to improve Peer Efficiency. It now supports Office 365 ProPlus updates and Intune content. More capabilities are coming soon.
- Automatic Restart Sign-on (ARSO): Windows 10 can now automatically login as the user and lock the device when completing the installation of an update.
- Windows Update for Business: The SAC-T designation is now removed. Now, there will be a single, common start date for phased deployments.
- Update rollback improvements: If a startup failure is introduced after the installation of an operating system or driver update, you can now automatically recover by removing the updates.
- Pause updates: Both feature and monthly updates can now be paused for up to 35 days straight.
- Improved update notifications: The iconography of the power buttons in the Start menu will change when you have a reboot pending to install an update.
- Improved update orchestration to improve system responsiveness: To minimize disruptions, Windows 10 will download and install updates to the operating system or the apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store by checking when the computer is idle.
- Windows Information Protection: Auto Labeling is introduced with this update, which will help Windows Defender ATP (Advanced Threat Protocol) to extend discovery and protection of sensitive information. Learn more about it here.
- Security configuration framework: A new taxonomy for security configurations called SECCON framework is introduced with this update. Learn more here.
- Intune security baselines: This is currently in preview but now supports settings by Intune that will help you in fine-tuning the security settings of a user.
- Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP): Under this, features like Attack surface area reduction, Next generation protection, Platform support, and more are added.
- Microsoft Defender ATP next-gen protection technologies: Features like Advanced machine learning, Emergency outbreak protection, Certified ISO 27001 compliance, and Geolocation support are added.
- Identity Protection: FIDO2 certification, Streamlined Windows Hello PIN reset experience, Password-less Microsoft Accounts and Remote Desktop with Biometrics will help a user to securely login across various aspects of the operating system and even the supported websites and portals.
4] Microsoft Edge
A whole new set of Group Policies and MDM policies have been introduced for better management of Microsoft Edge for professionals. You can silently now enable BitLocker for standard Azure Active Directory joined users. ANd with Microsoft 365 Admin Center, the entire Microsoft 365 experience can be now customized.
You can learn more about these features and detailed explanations here on docs.microsoft.com.