Twitter is one of the most popular and addictive social networking sites today, apart from Facebook. Originally thought of as a micro-blogging site, Twitter soon turned out to be a site where people started to share everything – from what they eat to what they think, their habits, their obsessions, their ups and their downs, what they are doing, what they intend to do and more. You can look at the timeline of any person and get to know many facts about him or her. Tiem to take a look at your Twitter Privacy Settings!
Twitter Privacy Settings
So how do you go about protecting your privacy on a site so seductive!? These tips that will help you stay secure and protect your privacy while using Twitter.
Is Protecting Tweets A Good Idea
One of the methods to protect your privacy on Twitter is to protect your tweets. You can protect your tweets by visiting Settings. This way, people who are not following you cannot read your tweets. You also get to select who all can follow you. If you want to interact with limited people and with people whom you know, you can go ahead and protect your tweets.
But protecting your tweets is not a good idea as you may miss upon on followers. People, in general, do not like following people with protected tweets. Also, if you represent a service or business, you need to keep the tweets in public domain so that others can see how you treat others. In other words, keeping your tweets open means you have nothing to hide from others – and this attitude brings in more followers.
Protecting Your Privacy on Twitter
Protecting your tweets is not a good idea unless you wish to interact with limited people. If you want more followers and wish to have more people for interaction, it is recommended that you do not protect your tweets.
Then how do you protect your privacy? Here are some tips:
- Be careful while tweeting. Do not share personal information such as phone numbers and email addresses on Twitter.
- Though the geotagging feature (see image above) is useful, use it only when you want your friends to know where you are when tweeting. Do not enable it for all tweets.
- If you are linking Twitter to other social networking sites, know that Twitter can cross post to those social networking sites. Tweet in mind keeping this fact. If you do not want Twitter to cross post, revoke access to Twitter from other social networking sites.
- When uploading pictures, make sure they do not contain any kind of personal information. People can use these pictures to trackback your location and other details.
- Understand that other people can always retweet your tweets. Do not tweet anything that others can manipulate for their own needs.
- Under Settings, you may also to uncheck Let other find me by my email address.
- Make sure that the Always use HTTPS box is checked.
- If you want, you can also Block any user. To do so, visit his Profile page and click on the Block item from the drop-down menu of his Person icon.
Opt out of Twitter’s Tailored Ads
Visit Twitter and click on Privacy and safety. Now under Promoted content uncheck Tailor ads based on information shared by ad partners. And under Personalization, uncheck Tailor Twitter based on my recent website visits.
Visit Twitter Personalization Settings here and you will see the following options:
The bottom line is that there are no specific rules to stay safe on Twitter. You have to stay secure on your own – by staying careful when tweeting.
Tools like BitDefender Safego will help you secure your Twitter account. F-Secure Safe Twiit will scan your Twitter links and warn you of doubtful or malicious links.
Go here, if you’d like to know what to do if you are Locked out of Twitter or if your account is compromised.
This post will show you how to completely Opt out of Data Tracking & Targetted ads on the Internet.