One of the well-known optimizer, tweaker, cleaner, customizer and tune up utility for the Windows operating system is TuneUp Utilities. For long have Windows users counted on this software to keep their PC running smoothly.
TuneUp Utilities provides Windows users with improved cleaning, optimizing and tuning tools. The most innovative new feature of the TuneUp Utilities 2013 is the Live Optimization 2.0 feature which provides users with an entirely new way to find resource-eating programs and turn them off instantly.
New features in a nutshell:
- TuneUp Disk Cleaner cleans leftover files and temporary data from more than 150 popular programs, while also freeing up some 30 Windows features, of unnecessary data
- TuneUp Browser Cleaner cleans browser traces from over 25 browsers, including Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera and Firefox
- Live Optimization 2.0 increases performance in lab tests 38 times under full CPU load
- More than 30 optimization tools are easily accessible via the optimized TuneUp Start Center
- Turbo Mode closes down 70 background features
- TuneUp Program Deactivator boosts performance by up to 50 percent
- More than 400 Windows tweaks present
- The 1-Click Maintenance feature cleans up your system in a single click.
TuneUp Utilities Review
TuneUp Utilities is shareware – and yet it bundles the AVG Security Toolbar. So during installation, you will have to be alert and not go in for the Recommended Express install but select instead the Custom Installation, which is written in the bottom left corner in small.
For if you blindly go in for the Express installation, you will find yourself straddled with an unwanted AVG toolbar, find your search provider and home page changed to AVG’s own URLs. The AVG Security Toolbar is known to give many false positives and blocks even genuine pages. In fact, it has even blocked our TWC Security Forum – and nothing has come out of our requests to them.
The installation completed quickly and smoothly, and after checking for updates, the program will present you with a window that will allow you analyze the state of your PC. You may start the analysis right away or exit and go straight to the Start Center. Toward the bottom of the window, you will see that the optimization status is always displayed. TuneUp also lets you configure settings to make your PC run in the Turbo mode, Standard mode or the Economy mode. If you are gaming or using high-resource applications, you may want to run the Turbo mode, which closes down 70 background features.
You can also switch to the Category view if you find that easier to navigate. You may, by the way, click on the images to see their larger versions.
The first thing you want to do after you have installed TuneUp is to create a Profile. You can do so by clicking on the Create Profile link.
The main UI clubs all the settings, features and scans under 5 tabs. The Start and Recommendation tab which we saw above, the Optimize computer tab, Clean up computer tab, Fix problems tab and Customize Windows tab. The Optimize Windows tab offers you tools to disable programs, start-up items and Uninstall programs. You can clean up and defragment the registry, defragment hard disks and more here.
The Disable Programs module disable unrequired background Services, thereby making your computer run faster. It also displays the load of each running process.
Under the Clean up computer tab, you will see options to delete junk files, clean up your Windows, built-in programs, browser, broken shortcuts, etc. You can also disable certain Windows functions which you do not use.
If your Windows computer is behaving erratically and you need to fix some problems, you can click on the Fix problems tab and see if the 1-click solution is listed there. You can also check your hard disk for deleted errors and restore deleted files if you wish. If you need to troubleshoot processes, you can do so by displaying the running processes.
The Customize Windows section will let you customize the appearance and behavior of your Windows as per your personal preferences. The System Control window offers you tons of settings which you change. You can tweak your browsers, folders, animations, taskbar, and carry out system tweaks, memory tweaks and so on.
The TuneUp Styler lets you change several system elements and appearance. You can download Icon Packages from the TuneUp website and apply them in a single click.
One important feature of TuneUp Utilities is Live Optimization. Live Optimization 2.0 improves the prioritization process of all processes and helps you to stop resource-hungry processes. This feature can be configured under TuneUp Settings along with the other aspects of the program. You can configure, 1-Click maintenance, Turbo Mode and all functions of the software here.
Once the scan is complete, you will be presented with recommendations to increase performance, how to fix problems if any, clean up and maintenance tasks to be carried out along with Optimization recommendations.
You can inspect each recommendation and then decide whether you want to accept and apply all the fixes or only some of them.
The best part I like about this program is the 1-Click maintenance. Once you configure the clean-up and optimization settings to meet your requirements, all you need to do for future runs is to simply click on 1-click maintenance’s shortcut and TuneUp will clean up and optimize your computer, without the need for your intervention anywhere.
This time-saving tool performs key optimization tasks including:
- Cleaning and restructuring the registry
- Deleting temporary files and defragmenting the hard disk
- Removing broken shortcuts
- Optimizing system start-up and shutdown.
One minor issue I find is that in a few places, the program continues to display the instructions in the German language. Here is one such instance I saved.
I always advocate that you create a system restore point first before making any changes to your Windows installation. Even if you forget to create one while using TuneUp, you need not worry. The software has Rescue Center, where all settings are saved before any changes are made. If you wish to revert to the earlier setting, you can always do so via this module.
Apart from all this, TuneUp Utilities contain several tools which let you securely delete data, recover deleted files, show system information, and more. TuneUp is one software every Windows user may want to have installed on their computer.
- I feel this is one of the finest and complete all-in-one Clean up, Tweaking, Optimization, Customization tools for the Windows operating system. I have been a fan of it for quite some time and used it extensively on Windows Vista and Windows XP. I lost touch with it after I installed Windows 7. I have now installed it on my Windows 8 RTM x64 and have found it really useful in cleaning up the clutter and making Windows more responsive.
- The user interface, the included tools, and tweaks, the 1-Click Maintenance feature all these are packed together neatly to make TuneUp Utilities a must-have software for Windows – worth the price!
- Why bundle AVG Security Toolbar in a shareware? If people want to install it, they can always do so by visiting the website.
- I found no easy way to deactivate the program completely via the UI. I do not like to have processes running in the background unless required. There should be a way to disable Live Optimization and TuneUp Utilities completely via the user interface if someone does not want it running all the time – after having used it to clean up and optimize the computer.
TuneUp Utilities Giveaway
TuneUp Utilities costs $49.95, but the company has been kind enough to give us 5 licenses to be distributed among TWC readers, this year too. To win a license, simply share this post on any social networking site of your choice, and share its status URL here. The more you share, the more your chances. If you do not use any social site, you may tell us in the comments why you need this software.