Microsoft has published a fine Knowledge Base article on what to do when your Zune player or a Windows Phone is not detected by the Zune software.
Zune Error codes
It contains steps to follow depending on the error code that you receive in Windows Device Manager.
The Error Codes covered are:
- Code 1. This device is configured incorrectly.
- Code 3. The driver for this device might be corrupted, or the system may be running low on memory or other resources
- Code 10. This device cannot start
- Code 14. This device cannot work properly until you restart your computer
- Code 18. Reinstall the drivers for this device
- Code 19. Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device.
- Code 21. Windows is removing this device
- Code 22. This device is disabled
- Code 24. This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
- Code 28.The drivers for this device are not installed
- Code 31. This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device
- Code 32. A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality
- Code 37. Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware
- Code 38. Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory
- Code 39. Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing
- Code 40. Windows cannot access this hardware because its service key information in the registry is missing or recorded incorrectly
- Code 41. Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device
- Code 42. Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system
- Code 44. An application or service has shut down this hardware device
- Code 45. Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer
- Code 46. Windows cannot gain access to this hardware device because the operating system is in the process of shutting down
- Code 47. Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for safe removal, but it has not been removed from the computer.
- Code 48. The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver
- Code 49. Windows cannot start new hardware devices because the system hive is too large (exceeds the Registry Size Limit).
So if you are receiving any of these errors, KB953933 is sure to help you!
- Tags: Phones