When you connect your Windows Phone device to your Windows computer, your computer will detect the device automatically and your installed Zune software may spring to life.
Computer does not detect Windows Phone
But if you find that your Windows Phone is not detected by your computer or your Zune software does not detect or open when your phone is connected, then you may want to try these troubleshooting steps:
- Check if your installed version of Zune software is the latest version. You may download the latest version here or update it via Zune Settings > Software > General > Check for Updates
- Disconnect Windows Phone from your Windows PC, restart your computer and your Windows Phone, and then reconnect Windows Phone and see if it helps.
- Try and use another USB port.
If it still does not help, you may have to use the Device Manager to Identify & Troubleshoot Unknown Devices in Windows.
Open Device Manager, click the root computer icon at the top of the list, and then click Scan for hardware changes under the Action menu.
Windows Phone should be listed under Portable Devices. If Windows Phone was installed incorrectly, it may be listed with a yellow exclamation mark (!). Or, it may be listed under “Other devices” as a “USB Device” or an “Unknown Device.”
Double-click your Windows Phone and then click the Driver tab. Ensure that you have the latest version.
If Windows Device Manager indicates a device problem or if the driver version of Windows Phone that is installed is not the current version, you must update the driver. To do this, K2410180B suggests these steps:
- On the Driver tab, click Uninstall.
- If it is displayed, click to select Delete the driver software for this device and then click OK.
- Click the root computer icon, and then click Scan for hardware changes on the Action menu.
- Open Portable Devices, double-click your Windows Phone, and then click the Driver tab.
- Click Update Driver.
- Click Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Browse, locate the Program Files/Zune/Drivers folder on your computer, and then click OK.
- Click Next and if you are prompted, click Install.
- After the driver installation is complete, click Close two times to exit the Device Manager. If you are prompted to do so, restart your computer.
Hope this helped.
- Tags: Phones