Microsoft has released a new, free application for IT professionals & Developers, designed to streamline access to the resources.
Microsoft Desktop Player will aggregate content across various Microsoft properties and maps it to your role as a developer, IT Pro & IT Adoption lifecycle.
- Offline and Online Player showcasing the power of Microsoft Platform choice via both in browser and out of browser experiences.
- Contextual relevant content surfaced depending on IT Adoption Lifecycle by selecting the right filters.
- Local ITE and DE connection – The player surfaces your local DE or ITE based on the user profile.
- MSDN and TechNet Events integration www.msdnevents.com, www.technetevents.com
- Local Community events integration.
- Local CPLS integration to find the best place to get your Microsoft Training.
The Microsoft Desktop Player, now in beta, [can be used] to find contextual content for IT professionals and developers based on your adoption lifecycle. The Desktop Player filters content by topic based on your role and where you are in your adoption lifecycle. It also surfaces local resources based on your zip code. Find videos, webcasts, podcasts, whitepapers and relevant links based on your specific criteria. And get a feed of the latest news for IT pros, according to TechNet Flash.
The Microsoft Desktop Player is available in two flavors, namely a Cloud application built in Silverlight, or a desktop client that can be downloaded and installed locally.
UPDATE Aug 28, 2018: The Microsoft Desktop Player is no more available.