The last time we saw any Lumia phone getting launched was April 2014. After that, no other smartphone was released under Lumia flagship; until now. Suddenly, after more than a year, we can now see Microsoft launching 2 brand new smartphones; namely Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL. Both of these smartphones have come up with a huge bundle of attractive features. Read on to know all the information you wanted to know about these two Lumia flagship phones; right from their review to their price and from their specifications to their availability.
What’s new with Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL
Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL; both are introduced by the current lead of Microsoft Lumia and Surface, Panos Panay. Both these phones have high-end specs and cameras as well as various other latest features from Microsoft. Simply with the help of a puck-sized Display Dock, the phones have the ability to transform into a full-fledged computer. You can connect all sorts of peripherals such as a monitor, a keyboard and a USB mouse. You can also use the familiar shortcut functionalities like CTRL+V, CTRL+C and Alt-tab.
These two Lumia smartphones are able to break the barrier between a smartphone and a computer. May be that’s why the wait for the arrival of the next Lumia flagship smartphones was worth.
Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL features and specs
The biggest feature of both these Lumia smartphones is that they are powered by Windows 10. Thanks to Windows 10 Mobile OS, users can benefit from the Windows experience. Several features such as Office apps and Outlook Mail have familiar rich editing tools that scale to fit the screen you’re using and the brand new Windows Store makes it easy to find apps, music, and videos. The beta version of Windows Hello on Lumia phones helps in quick and secure unlocking. Cortana now has a more innovative use with Lumia 950 and 950XL. Using your Windows 10 PC, you can set a reminder, which can be easily synced with your Lumia. So, you will be reminded about your next meeting, even if you are on-the-go!
The core features and specs of Lumia 950 and 950XL are as follows:
- The Lumia 950 has a 5.2-inch screen; Lumia 950XL has a 5.7 inch screen.
- The AMOLED 2560 x 1440 pixel screen of 950 is fitted to a 150 gram body that measures 8.2mm thick; while that of 950XL is slightly heavier at 165 grams, but a little slimmer at 8.1mm.
- Lumia 950 is covered with covered with Gorilla Glass 3; while 950XL is covered with Gorilla Glass 4.
- Lumia 950 has a hexa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor; while 950XL has Snapdragon 810 octa-core processor.
- Both phones come with 3GB RAM, and 32GB internal storage space.
- The Lumia phones’ MicroSD card slot can be raised up to 200GB
- One of the unique features is the removable battery that can be charged wirelessly. Lumia 950 is given a 3000mAh battery, while 950XL is given 3340mAh battery.
- Both Lumia phones get a 20-megapixel rear camera. The front, wide-angle selfie camera is of 5-megapixel.
- To faster data transfer to and from a PC, Lumia phones use USB Type-C Connector.
Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL price & availability
Now comes the most awaited part of the information! Microsoft is going to bring Lumia 950 and Lumia 950XL for sale in November this year. The price will be $550 and $650 respectively. Currently only AT&T and Vodafone UK confirmed the availability of Lumia 950. However, none of the networks have given out any details about the availability of 950XL.
It will be really interesting to see how Lumia 950 smartphone and Lumia 950XL perform when they enter the market.
Now read about the Microsoft Display Dock here.