Microsoft has started rolling out sixth feature update of Windows 10 v1809. IT pros are one of the biggest segment of Windows Business. In this post, we are looking at the list of new features for IT Pros in Windows 10 October 2018 Update. Microsoft claims that Windows has improved a lot when it comes to managing devices, and deployment with Microsoft 365.
New Features for IT Pros in Windows 10 v1809
Security with Windows Defender and Deployment seem to be the major focus of this feature update for IT pros. The former seems to have got a huge boost.
Security Features with Windows Defender
1] Windows Defender with Advanced Threat Protection or ATP gets its own set of interactive reports which will offer intelligence on Organizational risk. Administrators can also write their own custom queries to pinpoint specific data points and create custom alerts. These alerts can be automatically resolved through an automated investigation which signals resolution of the problem.
2] Microsoft Threat Protection which was announced at Ignite 2018, now integrates with Azure Advanced Threat Protection, Azure Information Protection, Office 365 Threat Intelligence, Microsoft Cloud App Security, Microsoft Intune, and Skype for Business.
3] Microsoft Secure Score, previously known as Office 365 Secure Score, can remark on how secure PCs are in your company by talking data from Windows Defender, security updates, firewall, and other security parameters. As a result, admins can find out outdated PCs rather quickly.
4] In order to mitigate exploits from the new type of threats, Attack Surface Reduction or ASR in Windows Defender offers:
- Security admins can define allow and deny list of URLs and IP addresses and apply to devices with advanced web protection.
- ASR capability has been extended to protect devices from ransomware, credential misuse, and attacks that are transmitted through removable storage.
- It also offers a new tamper-proofing feature to isolate critical ATP security capabilities. This is virtualization-based security which will make sure to block anything reaching to the OS and block the attackers.
5] Next Generation Protection is now using advanced machine learning and AI models. This will help in blocking those type of attackers which get creative using exploit techniques. They are common terms as Apex attackers. Apart from these, it will also automatically update devices with new intelligence to block those attacks using emergency outbreak protection.
6] Apart from these
- There is support for MSSP, Windows Server 2019, and Windows Defender ATP’s functionality has been extended to support Windows 7 and 8.
- Password-less login using Windows Hello with FIDO2, Web Authentication (WebAuthn), and Microsoft Authenticator.
- Firewall support for Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
Deployment and management
1] Windows Autopilot
- This interactive tool will let IT migrate existing devices from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with few clicks.
- It also supports Hybrid Azure Active Directory (AAD) Join. It offers zero-touch provisioning, i.e., plug in, turn on, automatically provisioned. This will turn out to be a great option for shared devices, kiosks, and digital signage.
- Offered at no extra cost, the Desktop App Assure service Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education address issues that are usually encountered with Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus application compatibility.
2] Update Package Size and Release Support
- Windows will now offer compact update packages and reduced download package size for x64 systems. This will ensure faster deployment with low downtime. Not to forget will also ensure that companies can save bandwidth when using WSUS or Configuration manager for updates.
- Starting with Windows 10 v1809, all feature updates for Windows 10 Enterprise and Education will get support for 30 months from their release date.
- Microsoft will also offer Windows like update channels for Office 365 like Semi-Annual Channel, Long-Term Servicing Channel
3] Apart from these, there are few small but important features:
- Tailored browsing experience for kiosk devices or digital signage with Microsoft Edge.
- Fast sign-in for shared devices using the Authentication and EnableFastFirstSignIn policies in the Policy CSP.
- Language Interface Packs (LIPs) will be faster to install and have a smaller OS footprint.
- Windows Analytics in the Azure portal formerly found in Operations Management Suite (OMS).
- Microsoft 365 Admin Portal to manage and monitor your Windows 10 devices, Office 365 applications and Enterprise Mobility, and Security solution from one single console.
Microsoft will soon offer Windows Virtual Desktop and Desk Analytics in Preview.
Windows 10 v1809 has rolled out a lot of smaller but significant features.
1] Microsoft Search: It offers organizational search into the apps, results from Bing.com and Windows, and the organization’s network of data. Its based on artificial intelligence (AI) technology from Bing.
2] Learning Tools in Microsoft Edge lets users hear any webpage, PDF, or ePub. Above all, you can plug in your earphones while it read out loud while following along with the words on the screen. You can also improve reading experience by adjusting font and line spacing in ePub books.
3] Deep integration with Android devices makes it possible to work on apps installed on your phone, and almost mirror everything to your Windows PC. Using Microsoft launcher, Timeline concept is now available with Android devices.
4] You can now design your slides with a pen, and then easily convert them into a polished presentation.
That said, Windows 10 1809 will roll out to Volume License customers via the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) in the coming weeks, and to Microsoft Partners from October 5th (Enterprise only). The rest of the versions will be available on October 22nd.