A new virus Koobface, is spreading through social networking sites such as Facebook, Myspace, hi5, Bebo and Twitter targeting its users.
The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), under the Department of Information Technology, said a new worm – Koobface – is propagating through social networking sites.
Koobface is a worm propagating through social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, hi5, Bebo, Friendster and Twitter etc.
The worm spreads by sending spam to contacts containing a catchy message with a link to a “video.
Once infected users machines can be used to distribute additional malware, generate ‘pay per click’ advertising revenue, steal sensitive data, break CAPTCHAs, and subvert the affected user’s online experience.
The name KOOBFACE is an anagram of FACEBOOK.
In view of rapid propagation and emergence of the KOOBFACE WORM, users are advised to implement the following countermeasures :
– Delete files, registry keys added by the worm.
– Excise caution when opening attachments and accepting file transfers.
– Excerise caution when clicking on links to web pages.
– Install and maintain updated anti-virus software at gateway and desktop level.
– Keep up-to-date patches and fixes on the operating system and application software.
– Install and maintain Desktop Firewall and block the ports which are not required.