A few days back, we have seen what we can do when Internet Explorer (IE) doesn’t restore last session. Today, in this article, we will see to how to force IE to start from the last browsing session. To some, this may sound incorrect, because there are some people who always want to start IE from a new page. But usage conditions aren’t similar for everyone, and there some people too, who want to let IE start by restoring previous session.
Thus if you’re a system administrator who has to control many users under single system, then this might be beneficial for you. Using the way discussed below, you can put a restriction on the users and force up them to have their IE start from last session. This constrain is so applied, that users can’t override this settings and they’re left with no other option, but to start IE from the previous session.
Here is how to make this possible.
Start Internet Explorer with tabs from last browsing session
Using Group Policy
1. In Windows 8 or later; Pro & Enterprise editions, press Windows Key + R combination, type put gpedit.msc in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
2. In the left pane, navigate here:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel -> General Page
3. In the right pane of above shown, there is a single Setting named Start Internet Explorer with tabs from last browsing session set to Not Configured. Double click on it to get this:
4. Now select Enabled in the above shown window and the click Apply followed by OK. You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor and observe the changes you’ve made by opening Internet Explorer.
1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put regedit in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate here:
3. In the left pane of above mentioned registry location, right click on the Internet Explorer key, select New -> Key. Name the newly create key as ContinousBrowsing. Now select this newly created key and come to its right pane. Do a right click and select New -> DWORD Value, name the DWORD so created as Enable. Double click on the same to get this:
4. In the Edit DWORD Value box, put the Value data equals to 1 in order to let IE start from previous session. Click OK and close the Registry Editor. Reboot to make changes effective.
Hope you find the article useful!