If you have a Windows 10 computer with a valid license key but want to install the same license on another Windows 10 machine, you can do so with the help of this tutorial. It is possible to transfer a Windows 10 license to another computer. However, a few things you should keep in mind and they are:
- If you have purchased the license key or product key of Windows 10, you can transfer it to another computer. Your Windows 10 should be a retail copy. The retail license is tied to the person.
- If you have purchased a laptop or desktop computer and the Windows 10 operating system came as a pre-installed OEM OS, you cannot transfer that license to another Windows 10 computer. The OEM license is tied to the hardware.
Knowing this, if you want to transfer Windows 10 license to another Windows 10 machine, follow these steps.
Transfer Windows 10 license to another computer
To transfer Windows 10 digital license to another computer you will have to follow this procedure:
- Uninstall the current license from the existing computer using the slmgr.vbs command
- Install Windows 10 on another computer
- Use the slmgr.vbs command to install the license.
Let us see the procedure in detail.
The basic thing is you need to do is Uninstall the current license from the existing computer, and only then install it on another. Here is how you go about it with the help of Command Prompt.
You can see a Windows Script Host window with a message called Uninstalled product key successfully.
Now, install Windows 10 on another computer and make sure you have chosen I don’t have a product key when it asked you to enter a valid product key.
In simple words, install Windows 10 without entering any product key.
After installation, open Command Prompt with admin permission and enter this command to install the Product Key–
slmgr.vbs /ipk <Your new Windows product key>
Don’t forget to replace <Your new Windows product key> with your original product key. It should install the license key without any problem.
You can also activate your new Windows 10 machine after calling or launching the Customer Support. In that case, you need to provide the Installation ID after choosing a region.
- How does Windows 10 licensing status change with changes in hardware configuration
- Activate Windows 10 free license after changing computer hardware.
- Tags: Product License