NotepadTabs & TabPad are two 3rd party freeware application that will help you open tabs in Notepad.
Using NotepadTabs, you can view multiple text files in a single notepad and easily switch from one file to another through tabs at the top of the frame.
– Different from classic notepad, ‘Notepad Tabs’ gives the freedom to view multiple text files in a single Notepad.
– Allows to open txt files with only one click.
– You can easily select and navigate through open tabs in a single Notepad programme.
– Before closing the application, it allows to save all opened tabs at the same time.
– User friendly interface gives easy access to frequently used commands.
– Unlike classic notepad you can choose 6 different themes:
Office 2007 Blue, Office 2007 Silver, Office 2007 Black, Sparkle Blue, Professional Office 2003, Professional System
To open a New Tab you can use the keyboard Shortcut Ctrl + T to open a new tab and Ctrl + W to close the current tab.
To make NotepadTabs the default text editor, right click the txt file and choose “Open With”, and select NotepadTabs.exe.
There is also another application called TabPad, which you may want to check out. It is a no-frills app! A Notepad with only tabs!
TabPad was designed to look almost identical to Notepad. TabPad is fast, efficient and well written, and supports opening dozens (if not more) of tabs for text files.
You can make it your default editor if you please, TabPad supports files being opened by Explorer, or you can simply use it standalone. Drag and drop support is also included (that includes batch drag and drop, meaning multiple files).
As of Version 1.90, TabPad includes auto-recovery, allowing you to salvage anything you were working on in the event of a program/system error or power outage.