It was only a few days ago that Hotmail upgraded all the accounts to the new version of Hotmail Wave 4, with some amazing new additional features in it. So in an attempt to do something from their side Google has now updated the interface of the Gmail services.
Gmail has improved its layout and made it easier to get to Contacts and Tasks. You’ll see these links are now up at the top left corner of your account; along with a link for “Mail” that takes you back to your inbox.
If you’re not interested in Contacts or Tasks, you can hide these links by clicking near the right edge of “Mail.” Overall, there’s now a smaller header area that puts the first message in your inbox about 16 pixels higher on the screen than before.
As reported on the Gmail Blog, the newer version of Contacts too just rolled out with some new features and a bit different interface.
Some of the new features include :
- Keyboard shortcuts (go to Contacts and hit “?” for the full list)
- Sort by last name (look under “More actions”)
- Custom labels for phone numbers and other fields
- The ability to undo changes you’ve just made
- Automatic saving
- Structured name fields, so you can adjust titles, suffixes, and other name components
- A bigger, more prominent notes field.
Those people who are using the GoogleApps services, might have to wait a bit longer to get this feature up and running on their Gmail accounts (I too am a Google Apps User and haven’t yet received an update for the contacts). But the good thing is that they are working on it, so it’s only a matter of few days for it to be available for everyone.
- Tags: Gmail